Intel Socket 1151 Motherboards with IPMI AND Support for iGPU

8 hours ago, nitrossub said:

For the poeple that has installed the newer bios Version L2.35 for ASRockRack E3C246D4U

any feed back on how its going? for me no problems. 

Unfortunately I just got around to flashing last night. Still a little early to tell.

@nitrossub, do you have turbo boost enabled or disabled? I'd love to re-enable as long as it doesn't cause a CPU_CATRR or call traces.

• Like 1

I just got around to updating to the 2.35 BIOS yesterday.  So far, so good as in nothing appears to be a problem yet.  My monthly parity check in under way now and is about 65% complete.

I still have Turbo Boost disabled until I make sure there are no other issues.  MB Temp currently reporting 30C but the system has been up only 18 hours since the update.  I am sure that by tomorrow it will be reporting in the 80s.  It's been so long since I saw consistently "normal" MB temps that mid-to-high 80s is the new normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Because I am speaking of this, it will now go back to "normal."

Ever since I installed the 2.35 BIOS and downgraded unRAID from 6.10.0 -rc2 to 6.9.2, the MB temp has been reported between 27 and 32 C for over five days now.  For me, that is a new record since it started reporting in the 80s a long time ago.  With the 6.10 rc it still reported in the 80s after a few hours of uptime even with the 2.35 BIOS. 

I am not under the illusion of this having been fixed, but it has been nice to see the MB temp where it should be the last 5 days.

@Hoopster is downgrading unraid a fix though? Haha.

I am still running rc2 and mobo temps are low 80s like you experienced. Still haven’t re-enabled turbo boost yet… Have you? 

I downgraded for reasons other than looking for a “fix” to the mb temp issue. I doubt 6.9.2 has anything to do with it but it has been a nice five days without any issues at all.

I still have turbo boost disabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what I have set but I'm still on version L2.32 and have normal MB temps and I also have Turbo Boost enabled. I did hit that temp issue once in the past but have not had it since. No errors in the logs either.

I wish I could tell you what it is but when I got the board over a year ago all I did was clear cmos (with battery removed) updated the bios and enabled the iGPU...I have no idea why I'm having such luck.

Anything extra you guys got going on that I may not be running/have set?

Edited by JimmyGerms
On 12/24/2021 at 10:26 AM, Hoopster said:

I am not under the illusion of this having been fixed, but it has been nice to see the MB temp where it should be the last 5 days.

All good things must come to an end.  After a little over 7 days in the 25-32C range, the reported MB temp is back up to 83C.  Still that is the longest run I have seen.

There must be some combination of things that causes this to happen but I have no idea what it might be.  There is no consistency. The only thing that is consistent is that once the temperature is reported in the 80s, it never goes back down until I reboot the server.  After a reboot, it is always low where it should be until whatever happens to send it soaring again.

Fortunately, at least according to my observations, there have been no adverse affects as a result of the high reported MB temps.

Edited by Hoopster
On 12/26/2021 at 8:55 AM, Hoopster said:

There must be some combination of things that causes this to happen but I have no idea what it might be.  There is no consistency. The only thing that is consistent is that once the temperature is reported in the 80s, it never goes back down until I reboot the server.  After a reboot, it is always low where it should be until whatever happens to send it soaring again.

Fortunately, at least according to my observations, there have been no adverse affects as a result of the high reported MB temps.

Same experience as you, though mine seems to end up in the higher-80s than lower... But everything seems to be working normally. Just a little annoying since I've had to tweak my unraid IPMI plugins to effectively ignore the mobo temps else I'll get spammed with high temp warnings.

I think I might try re-enabling turbo boost this week, though I really don't want a crash and subsequent parity check.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running 12 days now with normal MB temps in the 20s and 30s C and zero lockups.  This is a new record since I started seeing the high MB temps consistently.

I re-enabled Turbo Boost about 8 days ago and have had no issues.

I have uninstalled the Intel-GPU-Top and GPU Statistics plugins.  I think GPU-Top might have been messing in some way with the iGPU drivers.  Just a theory.  I have no idea how that could be related to MB temps.

3 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I have been running 12 days now with normal MB temps in the 20s and 30s C and zero lockups.  This is a new record since I started seeing the high MB temps consistently.

That’s outstanding. What version of unraid are you running now, Hoop? The last stable or the current rc?

I removed the Intel-GPU-Top and GPU Statistics plugins as a test to see if that would solve my mobo temp issue like @Hoopster. 2.5 hours after reboot, with no activity on the server, the mobo temp jumped to its typical 88C reading. Running RC2.

Not sure if I'm going to enable turbo boost as I wonder if there's a correlation between the high mobo temp, turbo boost, and lockups. But maybe I will...

3 minutes ago, kaiguy said:

I removed the Intel-GPU-Top and GPU Statistics plugins as a test to see if that would solve my mobo temp issue

Yeah, I could not see a correlation between the two. Removing those plugins was just something I had done since last rebooting so I am reporting it all.  At some point, I will reinstall the plugins and see what happens.

Turbo Boost is enabled but I still have the scaling governor set to Power Save.

Removing the plugins and enabling Turbo Boost is all I have done since the last reboot over 12 days ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 11:48 AM, Hoopster said:

I have been running 12 days now with normal MB temps in the 20s and 30s C and zero lockups.

I just hit 21 days and all is well; normal temps and no lockups. 

Just a gut feeling, but, I think enabling Turbo Boost again may be what caused MB temps to stabilize in the normal range.  My theory is that since Turbo Boost kicks in/switches off based on CPU temps (and probably MB as well), that temps and Turbo Boost are closely related and having it off somehow messed with the MB temp reading. 

Grasping at straws but it is the only explanation I can come up with.  I am happy with the results even if I cannot explain them.

I have been through a parity check, several backups (local and cloud), transcoding, etc. with Turbo Boost on with no adverse effects.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1

I am upgrading my backup server to an ASRock E3C246D2I Mini-ITX motherboard with an E-2246G processor.  It looks like the BIOS is already setup to allow enabling the iGPU. 

To be clear, I am not replacing the E3C246D4U system documented in this thread; just my backup server.

One big difference is the OCuLInk cable for 4 SATA ports.  4 are on the board and 4 more are possible with the cable.  It also supports only a 2242 (instead of 2280) PCIe NVMe SSD.  Oh well, I just get to spend more $ on a 2242 when I already have a 2280 available.

There is also no 24-pin ATX power connector on this board.  It has only 8-pin and 4-pin connectors.  They include a 24-pin to 4-pin adapter.  That will be interesting.

ASRock also has an E3C256D2I motherboard which support the E-23xx Xeon/10th Gen. Core processors but the board is hard to find and very expensive (over $400).  It also requires 2 OCuLink cables as there are no SATA ports on the board. ☹️

I am replacing this system with the new hardware.

Another new hardware journey is about to begin.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 2
21 hours ago, Shane01638 said:

can't find it for sale

If you do decide to go with the ASRock E3C246D4M-4L, it is available at NextWarehouse.  That is where I got the new Mini-ITX board.  Hasn't shipped yet, but hopefully tomorrow as they billed my cc today.

UPDATE: And now it says "More to come"  which I guess means it is out of stock.  ☹️

Edited by Hoopster

The parts for my new backup server based on the ASRock E3C246D2I MIni-ITX motherboard arrived today.  I threw the build together this evening outside the case on my desk.  Booted right up into unRAID after setting things up in the BIOS (and resolving one issue) just like my old server.

iGPU is enabled with stock BIOS (2.40, the latest, on this board).  IPMI with HTML 5 works great.

The OCuLink cable works well and I currently have 3 disks connected to it and 3 to onboard SATA ports.

My only issue was disk 1 was not initially recognized.  It came up missing in the BIOS and unRAID.  I swapped SATA cables and still nothing.  I swapped the SATA power connection and up came the array just like before.  I preserved the HDDs, appdata SSD and unRAID flash drive from the old system.

Tomorrow, I will put it all in the case; however, since it has been 9 months since the last parity check, I am letting one run now.

UPDATE:  All up and running happily in my Lian-Li PC-Q25 case.  No issues to report.

Edited by Hoopster

Thanks for reporting on your experience Hoopster. Am interested if your experience supports IPMI while Plex docker container makes use of 2288G Quick Sync Video for hardware transcoding. Reading through this thread suggests it should work but will be interested to learn about this for your build (if indeed use case aligns). Thanks.