Intel Socket 1151 Motherboards with IPMI AND Support for iGPU

I have noticed that whatever AUXTIN3 (in the System Temp plugin) is reporting as its temp, the same temp is also reported in IPMI when it has whacked out.  When things are normal, the System Temp MB temp and IPMI MB temp are in sync.

I have no idea what AUXTIN3 is.  Do any of you see the same correlation?  They have both "cooled off" to 84C from 86C yesterday and 85C this morning.

image.png.bb1c5f2b098c561bff164fed39757836.pngimage.png.17dea7bb69a479ad36a3e45c16992ee9.png

Yeah, I would say that is the sensor that is showing the incorrect reading.  I see the same temp in unRAID and IPMI.

After a couple back and forth emails with William yesterday, he said this "Please bear with me for a few moment. I have escalated this issue to our BMC engineering team along with your log file. Once I have any update, I will let you know."  So will see if they come back with anything today.

2020-04-08 08_39_07-Inbox - Kyle_Bailey@Amway.com - Outlook.png

2020-04-08 08_36_58-Atlas_TempSettings.png

5 hours ago, Burizado said:

Yeah, I would say that is the sensor that is showing the incorrect reading.  I see the same temp in unRAID and IPMI.

I have reported this to ASRock and William thinks this is significant.  He is passing these findings on the the BMC firmware team.

I got the same "please bear with me for a few moments" response.  I assume it will be more than a "few moments" before a response is received. 😀

I have to give ASRock and William, in particular, a lot of credit.  They are far more responsive than most technology vendors (although Noctua is up there as well).

William at ASRock said the the BMC firmware team wanted to know what program I was using in Linux to show the system temp.  I have been giving them screenshots of the System Temp plugin drop-downs like we have been posting in this forum.

I explained to him that the plugin is just really parsing the output of the Linux 'sensors' command and presenting temps from which to select in the drop-downs.

I gave him screenshots of 'sensors' run from the CLI as well as a link to the Dynamix System Temp source code in case they wanted to look through it.

It looks like they are digging into this issue.

29 minutes ago, kaiguy said:

Glad to hear it. Does it really matter, though, since the ASRock IPMI shows that high temp as well?

As far as I can tell, it is just a reporting issue.  For some reason, IPMI/BMC is apparently reporting the wrong temp as the MB temp.  Nobody's MB temp is really in the 80-90C range.

I do recall seeing once that the System Temp plugin was reporting 86C for the MB temp.  A reboot fixed that, but, it did not fix what IPMI was reporting.  It still claims 86C for the MB temp even though the onboard sensor says 29C.

The problem is that IPMI shows the high temp even when Linux/System Temp plugin is showing it correctly.  It appears that IPMI will sometimes latch onto the AUXTIN3 temp rather than the actual MB temp.  That's what ASRock is looking into.

Yeah, I provided IPMI logs, which show it coming directly from the board/BMC, so really nothing to do with the OS/plugin/application side that I am using.  I can show my system stats (i.e. how much CPU or memory I am using) via the Dynamix System Statistics plugin, but that is just showing that my system is not under any sort of load that would cause the temp increase.

I am thinking the Linux/System temp is just pulling from a different sensor that is not part of the IPMI list.  My MB says 27.8C in the Dashboard, but I don't see any sensor in IPMI with that reading.  I am not sure where the unRAID Dashboard is pulling the readings from.

Edited by Burizado
32 minutes ago, Burizado said:

My MB says 27.8C in the Dashboard, but I don't see any sensor in IPMI with that reading.  I am not sure where the unRAID Dashboard is pulling the readings from.

It looks like you have the MB temp reading coming from the acpitz sensor?  That's the ACPI Thermal Zone sensor that is usually "somewhere near the CPU socket" and is often unreliable.  It can be reporting a constant temperature that never seems to change.

If you have the System Temp plugin installed, the dashboard will display whatever temps are reported from the sensors you have selected for Processor temperature and Mainboard temperature.

In the System Temp plugin drop-down, does it not show an nct6791 MB Temp sensor you can select?  That is far more accurate.  IPMI/BMC does not care about acpitz, but, it should care about nct6791 MB Temp although it often appears to be latching onto AUXTIN3 instead.

image.png.3df040325a2f76206db7f9707b8fabab.png

While I'm sure one of you would have posted about it if you did, I figured I'd check in to see if anyone has heard anything from ASRock... If the two previous times it happened to me is any indication (about 20 days apart), I'm due for another high temp warning here in a couple of days...

29 minutes ago, kaiguy said:

While I'm sure one of you would have posted about it if you did, I figured I'd check in to see if anyone has heard anything from ASRock... If the two previous times it happened to me is any indication (about 20 days apart), I'm due for another high temp warning here in a couple of days...

Yup, same here.  Nothing so far.  I'm not sure how much everything in the world has effected their support team, so not pushing it.  I know they can probably do support work from home, but still.

Mine is constant.  One day it went up and has not come down since, even through reboots and non-heavy server use.  I have not tried turning off and leaving off for a while.  I'm sure like others, now that I have unRAID up and running I can't live without it!!  Especially in the times we are living in now. 😉

@kaiguy @Burizado I just got a message from ASRock asking me to update to BIOS 2.30 and BMC 1.80 that were released just today.

The BIOS has an update to the H/W monitor and the BMC firmware has added a 'Sensor Sync' function. 

It looks like, among other things, this was intended to fix the problem we reported.

Edited by Hoopster
51 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I just got a message from ASRock asking me to update to BIOS 2.30 and BMC 1.80 that were released just today.

William was nice enough to email me as well asking me to update and keep him informed. I'm really impressed with his support!

Edit: I wonder what order we should update (BMC vs. BIOS). Did you get any indication that the additional features from the beta BIOS made its way into this one? I'd hate to lose QS.

Edited by kaiguy
Additional questions
2 hours ago, kaiguy said:

Edit: I wonder what order we should update (BMC vs. BIOS). Did you get any indication that the additional features from the beta BIOS made its way into this one? I'd hate to lose QS.

I updated the BMC first through IPMI.  Then I updated the BIOS.

In both cases, all previous configuration settings were lost.  BMC went back to DHCP so it was not accessible until flashed the BIOS and reentered the BMC/IPMI static LAN address.

The BIOS also lost all previous settings and I had to reconfigure everything.

One note of concern.  This BIOS does not support the iGPU.  /dev/dri is not present and there is no hardware transcoding.  I have alerted William.  I will be rolling back to L2.10A.

8 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

One note of concern.  This BIOS does not support the iGPU.  /dev/dri is not present and there is no hardware transcoding.  I have alerted William.  I will be rolling back to L2.10A.

Yeah, this was the one thing I was worried about being on a non-standard or dev BIOS like we were on.  I got an email as well from William with the stated suggestions.  Sorry I did not post earlier.  Been a busy day today.

Thanks for being the guinea pig Hoopster. :)

Edited by Burizado
Just now, Burizado said:

Yeah, this was the one thing I was worried about being on a non-standard or dev BIOS like we were on.  I got an email as well from William with the stated suggestions.  Sorry I did not post earlier.  Been a busy day today.

We probably all ought to let William know we need the iGPU (Intel Multi Monitor) BIOS setting in 2.30, or some updated version of it.  ASRock is clearly responsive to these needs.

2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

@kaiguy @Burizado  William responded that he will get the BIOS team to make another updated BIOS for us with the iGPU/QSV option.  That guy is incredibly helpful.

Ha ha ha!  AWESOME!  I was just drafting up a reply back to him too.  I still will send it and just note that I heard he was already on it. 😁

I debated just starting a group email so he doesn't have to contact us separately, but separate tickets might put more preasure on the BIOS team for a fix.

Edited by Burizado

Thanks, @Hoopster, for taking the plunge and finding out about the iGPU. I'm going to hold off on updating. Also appreciate your letting us know that all the settings reverted. I have static a DHCP address set on my router for the IPMI MAC, so luckily it would have still worked for me with the same IP. I'm going to hold off for the next revision, however.