Intel Socket 1151 Motherboards with IPMI AND Support for iGPU

2 weeks in for me on the L2.21A BIOS. No high temp warning yet (though I would bet money given everyone else getting the warning within the last few days I'm due for one). I'll be sure to comment here and let William know if/when it happens.

Server has been fairly idle and its been pretty cool here in gneral lately, but that's the norm anyway so I doubt that's a factor.

4 hours ago, Hoopster said:

There was nothing I could see in the BIOS that appears related, but, BIOS settings can often be very cryptic.

Very true.  I'm very young with running this board, so just asking the questions.  When I swapped this board into my server, I went through all the BIOS settings, Googling as needed.  I did find a few settings that were causing issues with other unRAID users (not this board specifically), but that's what prompted me to ask.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:35 AM, Hoopster said:

The Dynamix temp plugin has never shown me the fan speeds, it just shows 'not used'.  I get just CPU and MB temp from that.  In my prior (non-IPMI) system I used the Dynamix Autofan plugin to control and display the fan speeds.  However, with your new motherboard with IPMI, IPMI controls the PWM fans and you need to use the IPMI Tools plugin.  I use it to display CPU fan speed and the speed of the PWM fans on my hard drive hotswap cage so I can control them based on HDD temps.

In the screen snip below, the temps are coming from the Dynamix Temp plugin and the fan speeds from IPMI Tools.  Actually, IPMI Tools will let you designate up to four temps/speeds in the footer so you can get CPU and MB temps as well as two fans just from IPMI Tools.  I want the five I mentioned, so, I use a combination of the IPMI Tool and Dynamix Temps.

image.png.b600258fce4484806ce4631cf4ef8a65.png

If your CPU temp is really 31C under a 92% load across all cores, I need to get whatever CPU fan you are using 😁!

@Hoopster

When I use both the Dynamix plugin along with the IPMI Tools to display temperatures and fan speeds in the footer, the two sets of numbers keep flipping for me.  In other words, Dynamix sensor information first, then IPMI Tools sensor information.  A couple seconds later... IPMI Tools sensor information first, then Dynamix.  Does that happen for you?  My assumption is it has to do with the sensor refresh, but the flipping of the two sets of numbers is very distracting.

21 hours ago, jsr said:

When I use both the Dynamix plugin along with the IPMI Tools to display temperatures and fan speeds in the footer, the two sets of numbers keep flipping for me.  Does that happen for you? 

Yes, it does.  I have just gotten used to it but it is annoying.

• Thanks 1

Now that I have this board and cpu and wonder how many 1080 transcode streams can it handle. With my server in sig, I can do two transcode streams. I don't have a plex pass so the igpu is useless unless I go to jellyfin docker instead of plex. 

Also with 17 drives, 15 data and 2 parity, will my 750 psu be enough. I don;t have any VM's as of yet and only 6 dockers running.

21 minutes ago, Harro said:

Now that I have this board and cpu and wonder how many 1080 transcode streams can it handle

With CPU (software) transcoding, the CPU will handle 7-8 simultaneous 1080P streams. 

Software transcoding is based on passmark score and the E-2288G has a passmark score of 17,316.

Plex recommends 2000 passmarks per 1080P stream and unRAID needs about 2000 for system overhead.  You could comfortably get 7 simultaneous 1080P Plex streams and may be able to push it to 8 if nothing else is happening on the server.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I think it should still be enough.  In most cases, the CPU is consuming less than 100W.   Noctua claims it can consume up to 230W (that seems high) at Turbo speeds.

In this review of the E-2288G, STH states the maximum observed wattage consumed by the processor is 151W and that was in performance (Turbo) mode.

At this moment, my UPS claims the server is using 144W and the CPU has 10 of the 16 cores maxed out (but at non-Turbo speed).

I am using a 600W SFX power supply.  Granted, you have a lot more drives than I do, but, HDDs don't require a ton of wattage. 

12 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

You do not necessarily have to go that big.

Noctua rates their coolers based on how much headroom they have for a processor at overclocked/turbo speeds.

They don't list the Xeons, but the E-2288G is basically an i9-9900K with ECC support.

Here are the ratings for various desktop chips for the NH-U14S CPU cooler.  It is much smaller than the NH-D15 but is still rated to provide the best overclocking headroom for the i9-9900K.

image.png.1f4c191c85c51a2d3bd571571529b272.png

2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

With CPU (software) transcoding, the CPU will handle 7-8 simultaneous 1080P streams. 

Software transcoding is based on passmark score and the E-2288G has a passmark score of 17,316.

Plex recommends 2000 passmarks per 1080P stream and unRAID needs about 2000 for system overhead.  You could comfortably get 7 simultaneous 1080P Plex streams and may be able to push it to 8 if nothing else is happening on the server.

Thanks Hoopster.

I brought the other quotes from Good Deals thread over here to try and keep that thread somewhat on topic.

The reason I would get the bigger Noctua cooler is for the reason my server is in the attic. My temps during a parity check have never gone over 42c for my drives and with a larger cooler for cpu I would hope to not add any more heat inside. I live in TX and things do get HOT here but my attic is very well insulated  keeping the outside temps from invading the attic space. Even though I have recorded temps in the mid-high 90's F up there.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Harro said:

The reason I would get the bigger Noctua cooler is for the reason my server is in the attic

It's never a bad idea to go with the biggest cooler you can fit in the case and on the motherboard.  I wish I could get a bigger one in the case.

And I thought my office with several other PCs (space heaters) and a southern exposure to the sun was hot!

The reason I have finally decided to upgrade, is from the stupid covid-19 has got all my nieces, nephews, sisters and other friends now using my plex server almost all the time. This leaves me once work is done with interruptions when I want to watch something. My i5 just can not handle it all. I can watch my cores hitting 100% until the stream buffer is done. With this upgrade I should have a lot more head room.

16 minutes ago, Harro said:

The reason I have finally decided to upgrade, is from the stupid covid-19 has got all my nieces, nephews, sisters and other friends now using my plex server almost all the time.

Tell everyone using your Plex server to pony up $10 for unlimited access to your Plex libraries and buy a Plex Pass.  Then you can use hardware (iGPU) transcoding and be rocking a dozen streams or so with little load on the CPU.  😀

• Like 1

I'm loving this board/ram.  Excellent results.  I went with an E2278G from Provantage.  No complaints.  For cooler, I chose the Arctic Freezer 33 and added a second 120mm fan.  It just clears the RAM and just clears my 4U Supermicro chassis lid.  Provides a good amount of cooling.  Very quiet.

With having a bunch of users, I would recommend getting a Plex pass so you can take advantage of HW transcoding with igpu (QuickSync); it's amazing.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Tell everyone using your Plex server to pony up $10 for unlimited access to your Plex libraries and buy a Plex Pass.  Then you can use hardware (iGPU) transcoding and be rocking a dozen streams or so with little load on the CPU.  😀

LOL I should have them pony up 100.00 dollars for the server upgrade.

5 minutes ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

I'm loving this board/ram.  Excellent results.  I went with an E2278G from Provantage.  No complaints.  For cooler, I chose the Arctic Freezer 33 and added a second 120mm fan.  It just clears the RAM and just clears my 4U Supermicro chassis lid.  Provides a good amount of cooling.  Very quiet.

With having a bunch of users, I would recommend getting a Plex pass so you can take advantage of HW transcoding with igpu (QuickSync); it's amazing.

Thanks for the fan info, will take a look at the Arctic Freezer coolers.

I don't use plex. Kodi through my network. Picture taken behind my seating on a 110" screen.

kGn9oUP.jpg

Picture quality, 4k

1cx28i4.jpg

• Like 2
13 hours ago, parisv said:

My plex gpu decoding seems to have stopped working...

Hmm, I am seeing no such issues.  Don't know what to tell you to check as, in general, things are working for me. Has anything on your server changed recently?

BIOS settings look correct and are the same as mine.

/dev/dri and the appropriate contents exist on my server.

Plex server version is 1.19.3.2793.

I forced a transcode and all is well (Plex reports hw decode and encode).

No nothings change on my server.

Regardless of plex I don't understand why modeprobe is not picking up the gpu?

root@tower:~# sudo lshw -C video | grep product:

product: HD Graphics P630

product: ASPEED Graphics Family

root@tower:~# lspci | grep VGA

05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 41)

Edited by parisv
On 5/24/2020 at 10:36 AM, parisv said:

No nothings change on my server.

Regardless of plex I don't understand why modeprobe is not picking up the gpu?

root@tower:~# sudo lshw -C video | grep product:

product: HD Graphics P630

product: ASPEED Graphics Family

root@tower:~# lspci | grep VGA

05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 41)

Found the issue. I set my windows VM to use the graphics card and had it set to auto start.

1277574955_Screenshot2020-05-26at12_29_29.png.ea2a360f973a4e2ff7a613b2a037fe0d.png

Once this is started /dev/dri on unraid disappears.

Edited by parisv
3 hours ago, parisv said:

Found the issue. I set my windows VM to use the graphics card and had it set to auto start.

1277574955_Screenshot2020-05-26at12_29_29.png.ea2a360f973a4e2ff7a613b2a037fe0d.png

Once this is started /dev/dri on unraid disappears.

That makes sense.  I haven't looked into it, but wondering whether you could add a video card for the VM and still use onboard for video transcodes?