Intel Socket 1151 Motherboards with IPMI AND Support for iGPU

1 minute ago, Burizado said:

thought I would get another one if I could do 8

Look above at what @realdiel said; maybe you can have 8 + an occupied M.2 slot?  Doesn't jibe with ASRocks docs. 

I always keep at least one precleared HDD around as a spare.  If you don't have a spare, you can order another HDD and give it a try with all 8 SATA ports and the NVMe SSD.  Worst case; you have a spare ready to go!

11 minutes ago, realdiel said:

I had a NVMe SSD installed in my board along with a 12TB SATA HDD on SATA port 0. Both detected in the BIOS and unraid. I could write to the 12TB HDD, but didn't try to on the NVMe SSD. I have since removed the SSD since it was small and of no use to me. Perhaps both the NVMe slot and SATA port 0 are usable concurrently? That would go against the ASRock documentation, but pretty cool if true nonetheless. :)

I need to get me one of those H310s as I'm already running 8 drives. I suppose I could Velcro my SSDs within the case and run them cabled, freeing up a few 3.5" hot plug carriers for big spinners, and/or use the 5.25" bays for 3.5" spinning drives with a SATA pass-through adapter if needed.

Thanks for the report and info.  Yeah, if I need to expand I am looking at getting two of the ICY DOCK 3 in 2 SATA since I have four 5.25" external bays open in the Fractal Design Define XL R2 I have my in my setup.  I would need to get a HBA card to attach them as well.

...only if I need more space...only if I NEED more space....I keep telling myself. 😆

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

Look above at what @realdiel said; maybe you can have 8 + an occupied M.2 slot?  Doesn't jibe with ASRocks docs. 

I always keep at least one precleared HDD around as a spare.  If you don't have a spare, you can order another HDD and give it a try with all 8 SATA ports and the NVMe SSD.  Worst case; you have a spare ready to go!

True!  I have 3 drives on the way (should be here tomorrow), so I may do some testing on SATA_0 with one of them.  See if it works.

5 hours ago, realdiel said:

Just to give fellow users of this HW who might be dealing with random CPU_CATERR lockups too, the recommendation to set "Enable Intel Turbo" to "No" in the tips and tweaks plugin for unraid has given me the longest run of stability so far (no lockups and I'm running all of my dockers, and a VM full clip). If this continues, I'll be quite happy with the HW upgrades; just hoping for a long-term fix from whoever is the root cause of this (Intel, ASRock, someone else?).

I too have not had any lockups since turning off the Intel Turbo in the last 24 hours.  Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

Edited by JM2005
4 hours ago, creon said:

Unfortunately it did not work

Connected a screen and it sticks with this message

DXE southbridge initialization... 27

What RAM modules are you using?

Error code 11 on the onboard LCD display indicates a memory related error as you know.

If you have RAM issues, it is likely the Southbridge communications cannot be initialized.  I think that is first boot message you see on screen, correct?

On 7/9/2020 at 2:29 PM, Burizado said:

From what I was reading in the manual it sounded like using the NVMe you would not be able to use SATA_0

This diagram in the manual seems to contradict that in the case of a PCIe NVME SSD.

image.png.7744970f8885cd7a66a8f1d6b36a2ad0.png

Notice that the PCIe x4 slot, all SATA connectors and the M.2 slot are all controlled by the PCH.  x16 and x8 PCIe slots are directly interfaced to the CPU.

All SATA slots except SATA_0 are directly controlled by the PCH and there is no other 'switch' logic associated with them.

With the M.2 slot it says a SATA M.2 device shares SATA_0.  This diagram does not indicate that the use of a PCIe M.2 device will disable SATA_0.  In fact, it says 3 PCIe lanes go direct to the PCH and it gets another one through the Quick switch.

On the other hand, if it is a SATA M.2 device it goes through two quick switches and it appears either SATA_0 or the M.2 SATA device are supported, but not both.

That seems to contradict what it says elsewhere in the manual about SATA_0 and PCIe M.2 devices.

Unfortunately, someone is going to have to try 8 drives connected to all SATA ports (or maybe just one connected to SATA_0?) and a PCIe M.2 device to see what happens.  I think it is clear that a SATA M.2 device will disable the SATA_0 port but it is not so clear with PCIe M.2 devices.

Edited by Hoopster
8 hours ago, Hoopster said:

What RAM modules are you using?

Error code 11 on the onboard LCD display indicates a memory related error as you know.

If you have RAM issues, it is likely the Southbridge communications cannot be initialized.  I think that is first boot message you see on screen, correct?

I'm using 2 module's from Samsung

M391A4G43MB1-CTD

When power on, I see a lot of messages on screen, like the motherboard is setting up, number sort of counting down

When it comes to 72 it stops

Also the display on the motherboard count's the same way

Edited by creon
10 hours ago, creon said:

I'm using 2 module's from Samsung

M391A4G43MB1-CTD

Same RAM I have so the RAM model should not be an issue.  If the RAM were bad, you would think the boot process would not get as far as it is getting.

Code 72 is a chipset initialization error which is exactly what it says it is.

For more details about what that means you will likely need to contact ASRock.  The contact mentioned earlier in this thread is very helpful.

You already tried clearing CMOS so there is not much more you can do without guidance from ASRock.

• Thanks 1
On 7/10/2020 at 11:27 AM, creon said:

Just received my mother board cpu and memory

Installed all pressed the power button

Error 11 on the motherboard display

Can't find how to reset the cmos

Also can't find the meaning of the code 11

Can someone help me?

As I recall I had this problem too. I got past it by using only one stick of RAM, and then once it posted successfully I spent some time figuring out which pair of slots worked correctly. Board has been rock-solid ever since.

• Like 1
As I recall I had this problem too. I got past it by using only one stick of RAM, and then once it posted successfully I spent some time figuring out which pair of slots worked correctly. Board has been rock-solid ever since.

[mention]creon [/mention]With 2 sticks of RAM they should be in the A2 and B2 slots which are the slot closest to the CPU and the 3rd one from the CPU.

Trying just one stick to see if it will boot is a good idea s well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put 1 strip in the a2 slot and it started

I looked in the bios and restart

Then the same error appears

Checkt alle the other slots same error

Put the other strip in the a2 slot and it started again, but unfortunately only once

Tomorrow I gonna try to flash the bios when I get there

If it won't boot with one stick, try pulling the battery for 5 min so the CMOS can clear and try it with one stick again. After I got it to boot, I went into the CMOS and flashed the BIOS that allows hardware transcoding. After that I didn't have problems, other than having to flash the BMC separately so sensors would work.

It seems, that for many of us, disabling Turbo Boost has made our systems more stable.

I disabled Turbo Boost in March when I started running BOINC 24x7 as I would experience CPU lockups with the CPU_CATERR after several hours or several days.

I enabled Turbo Boost about a week ago when I quit running BOINC.  Everything has been good in normal operations.

Some of you were getting CPU_CATERRs just by running a parity check.  That does seem odd as a parity check should not be a CPU intensive process.  I am running one now (68% complete) and the CPU utilization has been less than 10%.  I even had a couple of Plex recordings going at the same time.

When the parity check is done, I'll do a few HandBrake test encodes with Turbo Boost enabled.  This will stress the CPU a lot more.  I will probably have to queue up enough to last a few hours even though that is not a normal use case for me.

Thanks for this post.  I was able to catch the 2288G back in stock on Provantage and order everything up for my first Unraid build which is supposed to be delivered this Friday.  I am coming from a dual E5-2680 V2 Windows server with DAS which I will keep around for VMs, labs, etc. but have ran out of physical storage space and using Drivepool in Windows caused me to duplicate everything and it's a bit clunky.  Going to be a fun weekend building a new server!  https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Shane01638/saved/hxwGqs

26 minutes ago, JM2005 said:

What does you CPU temps rise to when you are preforming these test?

With QSV enabled for HandBrake, encodes utilize between 65-75% CPU and temps are in the 50s and 60s

Without QSV (all CPU) it utilizes 90-95% CPU and temps rise to the 70-75C range.