Intel Socket 1151 Motherboards with IPMI AND Support for iGPU

40 minutes ago, Plaidy said:

And if this board has a consumer Intel Core i* CPU in it, ONLY non-ECC memory works and then ONLY ECC with a Xeon right? IPMI will still work with the consumer CPU no issue?

Not entirely true.  It depends on the CPU.  The i3 CPUs (for example i3-8100) support ECC RAM as do the Xeons.  Xeons will also function with non-ECC RAM.

IPMI is a function of the motherboard and is not CPU dependent.

I have used non-QVL RAM on ASRock boards with no problems.  As long as it meets the supported memory specs (type, DIMM size, frequency, voltage), you should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Shane01638 said:

So my server crashed with a CPU_CATERR noted in IPMI. I was able to reset power remotely to get it back up. Has anyone seen this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Disabling turbo for the Xeon E2288G in UNRAID via the Tips and Tweaks plugin resolved it for many of us. 

I hope it works for you. I didn't have stability long enough with turbo on to properly run CPU benchmarks. I'm not sure what the performance consequences are with it off other than not having the turbo speed of 5GHz as opposed to the base clock speed of 3.7GHz for the E-2288G. It's likely substantial with 8 cores/16 threads. I hope Intel/ASRock comes out with a fix at some point so we can run it full throttle. 🤞

On 8/21/2020 at 6:15 PM, Hoopster said:

I don't think the 2.30 BIOS supports the iGPU in the same way 2.21A does.  I had the same experience as @realdiel.  There was no hardware transcoding with the 2.30 BIOS.  Installing the 2.21A BIOS resolved that.

Really odd. I don't know why they just don't put this on the public version and default it to disabled then give the users the choice to turn it on?

If anyone that comes across this thread and is looking for something similar, I have a E-2278G and Supermicro X11SCA-F combo that I’m selling in the Selling Forum: 

The X11SCA-F has the same iGPU passthrough as these ASRock Rack motherboards but it’s a stable BIOS and not a beta one. It has zero trouble with CPU boost clock performance. It also is a full ATX size so you can get adequate distance between PCIE slots which is perfect if you’re trying to use a dual slot GPU. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I’m trying to sell the CPU, motherboard, heatsink, and RAM all together, but I’m definitely open to just a CPU/motherboard combo if that’s what it takes.

Sorry this is not strictly unraid problem here but I've finally (after much delay) finished getting the build together I mentioned earlier in the post but have a problem with the E3C246D4U motherboard and wondered if someone could point in right direction.  

Hitting a problem on boot with the DXE South bridge initialization? It sits forever at this stage with code 72 on the screen (which I believe is just the initialization stage starting) and error code 11 on the board itself which is in the memory range. 

I've unplugged everything, even fans on motherboard, just to leave cpu and memory.  I've got two dimms and tried both even each one singular in each slot. (If I boot with none it throws up error earlier in boot process saying no memory found). 

However, what is my main problem is how the hell on earth do you clear the CMOS on this board?  Don't laugh but can't find a jumper anywhere!  it's not labelled on board diagram in manual and can't see anything labeled CMOS, cncl or anything similar on board itself?? (It's hard to fully see clearly with cpu cooler and everything else in way). I can try all sorts but unless I can clear this it's probably not helping.

Im obviously being thick as hell but it's absolutely stumped me.  Any help appreciated with other owners of this board!  Please. 

41 minutes ago, 1300GT said:

how the hell on earth do you clear the CMOS on this board? 

There is no jumper. 

My prior ASRock board at least had a clear CMOS pad which you could short with a screwdriver to clear CMOS.  Not on this board.

About the only way you can do it is to remove the CMOS battery and power from the board for about 10 minutes before rebooting.  It's a total PITA but that should do it.

42 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

There is no jumper. 

My prior ASRock board at least had a clear CMOS pad which you could short with a screwdriver to clear CMOS.  Not on this board.

About the only way you can do it is to remove the CMOS battery and power from the board for about 10 minutes before rebooting.  It's a total PITA but that should do it.

Actually says in board specification at start of manual there is a 1 pin jumper?  Anyways I've been pulling the battery but only for about 1 or 2 minutes each time with no luck but now perhaps it's cos I haven't actually cleared it each time?  Argh. 

If 1 min is enough to clear it I'm at a total loss now if it's motherboard or memory up the spout. I'm assuming if it's cpu problem would be easier to spot?

I've unplugged everything including keyboard, case fans etc. Only thing in is cpu, CPU fan and one of the sticks of memory.  I've tried each stick singularly in each slot at various attempts.  Always just hangs at south bridge initialization.

I need a beer. 

14 minutes ago, 1300GT said:

Actually says in board specification at start of manual there is a 1 pin jumper

I see it mentioned there but it is not on any motherboard diagrams nor is it mentioned in the Jumpers section that begins on page 27.  It's well hidden wherever it is.

I had some issues similar to yours when the BMC was accidentally erased.  The board would still boot, but it would sit forever at the initial boot up stages.  Finally, I went into the BIOS and told it to skip checking the BMC/IPMI and it booted fine.  Of course, I also reflashed the BMC.

Have you ever been able to successfully boot?  Can you get into the BIOS?

32 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

had some issues similar to yours when the BMC was accidentally erased.  The board would still boot, but it would sit forever at the initial boot up stages.  Finally, I went into the BIOS and told it to skip checking the BMC/IPMI and it booted fine.  Of course, I also reflashed the BMC.

Have you ever been able to successfully boot?  Can you get into the BIOS?

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate this isn't really place to be asking all this so thanks for the help.   Unfortunately I can't get into bios.  I've tried F2 / delete on bootup with no luck.  

It shows an IP address when ethernet cable in ipmi port but won't connect to it. (Assuming I'm trying correctly as I've never used ipmi before). I assume it's just case of browsing that IP through pc browser at http://xxx.xxx.x.xx ? Just tells me it's unreachable. 

You say it sat forever, perhaps I need to leave it for a very long time at this stage?  Longest I've left it is approx ten mins before giving up. Just had battery out for last half hour to make sure CMOS reset.  Booted with only one ram and CPU.  Still same problem.  But one other thing did happen.  Just before during intel reference code execution (motherboard was showing code 13 at time) it powered off and rebooted itself and then stopped again at same old problem. 

47 minutes ago, 1300GT said:

You say it sat forever, perhaps I need to leave it for a very long time at this stage?

Well, for me 2-3 minutes is a long time.  😁

Go back to page 12 of this thread and read that.  A couple of others have been stuck at the same spot when trying to boot.  Some possible solutions are mentioned there.

43 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Go back to page 12 of this thread and read that.  A couple of others have been stuck at the same spot when trying to boot.  Some possible solutions are mentioned there.

Thank you. Had seen  that but unfortunately have had no luck.  Annoyingly I have the exact same memory modules as mentioned by the other users on page 12 but have tried resetting CMOS and putting each stick in the A2 slot just to get to BIOS even once to reflash but no such luck. 

Hesitant to email William at Asrock who's mentioned in this thread, seems wrong to bother chap directly just because his email has been posted on a forum. I have posted email to general support at Asrock but just received areply to contact seller first.  That's gonna be problem as board was hard to find over here in England and ended up getting off small scale seller throuh eBay.  

As an update to this William at Asrock has sorted the problem straight off!

If anyone else has similar it looks like the shipped BIOS version is too low to support the newer refreshed Coffee Lake-S CPU's.  You can check your version off the small sticker on the actual motherboard.

Was fairly straight forward to sort.  Logged in through IPMI, went to maintenance and update BIOS.  Chose the custom 2.21A BIOS update that was previously posted to this thread.  Server then booted with no problems.  For good measure I also updated the BMC after this to 1.80 from Asrock website.  Early days but all hardware, memory storage and fans all seem to be correct and in order. 

Now the fun of trying to build first Unraid server begins! 

If this helps anyone in future all thanks need to go to William for the super quick help and simple to follow support.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, nas_nerd said:

Hi all, I am looking into this asrock mobo.

Can anyone comment if there is a backplate on the rear of the mobo that would interfere with Noctua heatsinks, something like the NH-U9S or NH-D9L?

I read about issues with the X470 AMD micro atx Asrock version...

So much good info here, thanks!

Hi, nas_nerd. I'm using the NH-U9S without issue with my setup (ASRock E3C246D4U and Xeon E-2288G).

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, nas_nerd said:

Can anyone comment if there is a backplate on the rear of the mobo that would interfere with Noctua heatsinks, something like the NH-U9S or NH-D9L?

Are you talking about some kind of plastic cover/heatsink over components on the MB by the I/O plate?

No, this board has none of that.  In fact I have the NH-U9S installed on my system with lots of room all around it.  I was even able to install a very large 135mm top flow cooler with no clearance issues at all.

Edited by Hoopster
2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Are you talking about some kind of plastic cover/heatsink over components on the MB by the I/O plate?

No, this board has none of that.  In fact I have the NH-U9S installed on my system with lots of room all around it.  I was even able to install a very large 135mm top flow cooler with no clearance issues at all.

Hi Hoopster,

I am referring to a metal backplate on the underside of the mobo. Some motherboards come with them to support the CPU bracket thing on the top side.

I was worried it would interfere with the noctua mounting system.

E3C246D2I-3(M).jpg

8 minutes ago, nas_nerd said:

I am referring to a metal backplate on the underside of the mobo.

Oops, my bad, I completely misunderstood. 

No, there is no backplate like that.

Here is the backside of the MB with the Noctua plate installed - sorry about the flash glare but it is dark back there :)

IMG_2485[1].JPG

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, nas_nerd said:

Perfect! Thanks very much.

Just to be clear, there is a rectangular backplate for the CPU socket, but, the Noctua plate covers it without issue because of the cutout for the three screws and the slight raised area on the Noctua plate.

That might even work with the backplate in your picture.

Edited by Hoopster
2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Just to be clear, there is a rectangular backplate for the CPU socket, but, the Noctua plate covers it without issue because of the cutout for the three screws and the slight raised area on the Noctua plate.

That might even work with the backplate in your picture.

Ah ok then. Maybe that is a standard thing for Intel 1151 sockets. The image I attached is actually the mini-itx version of what you have.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:16 AM, realdiel said:

That would be great if it came out officially, but 2.3 came out in April. I recall installing it initially and had no access to the iGPU for HW transocding until I installed their beta BIOS (2.21a).

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C246D4U#Download

It looks like 2.21a has been removed from the site - the Beta Zone is now empty

Edited by JDGJr