Intel Socket 1151 Motherboards with IPMI AND Support for iGPU

Not to steal your thunder @Hoopster but I got curious and googled what you were talking about. I didn't know about the ipmitool kit!

Is this what you followed? https://www.asrockrack.com/support/faq.asp?id=57

image.png.b13b1097842ca423ff55c524e09f572a.png

EDIT:

Through googling, I found an old post of Hoopster's that ipmitools can be installed with the NerdTools. That should get you up and running hopefully?

Edited by JimmyGerms
3 hours ago, JimmyGerms said:

Not to steal your thunder @Hoopster

Steal away; especially when you are correct.  @kaiguy Yes, that is what I followed but I ran the command to disable network bonding.

image.thumb.png.de505017a88593a13957a00b95a873ba.png

Of course, with ipmitool already installed I did not have to go through all that install rigamarole and you can forget sudo.

It also would not work for me directly on the affected server.  I had to run it remotely from another Unraid server.

ipmitool -I lanplus -H $target_ip -U $username -P $passwd {the raw command string}.

Edited by Hoopster

After running this command from a different Unraid server:

ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.1.12 -U admin -P {password} raw 0x32 0x71 0x1 0x0 0x0 0x1 0x64 0x0 0x3 0x1  

(the IP address is the BMC/IPMI address on the E3C246D4U)

and then rebooting, I now have the Network Bond Configuration option in Network Settings on the E3C246D4U

image.thumb.png.552c33cc32c53f842af2a936068d7d0e.png

Edited by Hoopster

Hmm... this is a little odd. So I ended up successfully able to run the command locally on my unraid server (without specifying an IP address). I no longer see bond0 at all, but I also still don't have the bond configuration option. It's almost like the command just killed the bond without exposing that option. If I force refresh the network settings screen, it does end up showing the bond conf option before logging me out. When I log back in its not visible.

What I do have is now the ability to choose enabling the LAN on eth0 or eth1 under Network IP settings, and also the ability to register eth0 and/or eth1 to the BMC.

840210513_Screenshot2023-06-28at10_39_58AM.thumb.png.de2d62dce48a0de04a177edafd701dbe.png

113700940_Screenshot2023-06-28at10-40-12ASRockRackIPMI.thumb.png.a94ee7bd06e035f5b7fb0c2c6daa4c46.png

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding that I thought I would see 3 eth options (the 2 LAN and 1 IPMI LAN).

Edit: Ok, I got the bonding configuration to show up. Required me to do a BMC cold reset in the settings. Ultimately, though, something is just not working for me. No matter what, I can't seem to get the board to utilize the IPMI port. Even with bonding disabled it's always attaching the IPMI mac address to either eth0 or eth1. I wonder if its related to this bug, but I'm not feeling confident or motivated enough to do anything about it. Oh well.

Edited by kaiguy
More information
  • 3 weeks later...

Is this board worth it to buy in 2023? Someone is selling them for $295shipped. 

I'm currently running a 3700x with a GPU for Plex and started to look into getting an IPMI Intel quicksync setup. The newer stuff seems to be more expensive and I have a spare i5-9500 laying around. 

My use case is mainly Plex and file storage. There is an assetto corsa server but I suspect there isn't much firepower needed for steamCMD. 

Edited by derbo
1 hour ago, derbo said:

Is this board worth it to buy in 2023?

That depends on your needs.  I have been using my E3C246D4U-based system since early 2020 and have found no compelling reason to upgrade.  It handles everything I throw at it with power to spare.  You don't always need the latest and greatest and often that is just overkill anyway.

Your i5-9500 will be fine for Plex, HandBrake, etc. and is supported by the board.  Maybe a little under-powered if you want to run VMs but for primarily Plex and a NAS, it is more than sufficient.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

That depends on your needs.  I have been using my E3C246D4U-based system since early 2020 and have found no compelling reason to upgrade.  It handles everything I throw at it with power to spare.  You don't always need the latest and greatest and often that is just overkill anyway.

Your i5-9500 will be fine for Plex, HandBrake, etc. and is supported by the board.  Maybe a little under-powered if you want to run VMs but for primarily Plex and a NAS, it is more than sufficient.

Thanks! With the board with 2x10gbe, I can't figure out a reason either! It sounds like the 9500 would be good enough and in the future I could find a xeon E-22xxG for more firepower. Otherwise it sounds like I will be saving some power moving from a 3700x + 1650super to just an i5-9500. I lose some cores but I dont think I need 16cores..haha

I'm running these containers currently and minimal in CPU needs besides Plex.

Plex, Tautulli, Overseer, SWAG, NextCloud, Project Send, Filebot, and AssettoCorsa steamCMD

@Hoopster

I ended up buying one! Being you are the expert on this board, are there any gotchas I need to look out for when doing a hardware swap? 

I see a few things to check:

ctrl+alt+f3 for IGPU and onboard IPMI graphics at the same time. 

Turn off Turbo boost?

go file configuration for sensors? 

I appreciate the help! 

37 minutes ago, derbo said:

ctrl+alt+f3 for IGPU and onboard IPMI graphics at the same time. 

I have never tried this method with the public BIOS.  i have always used the BIOS provided by ASRock (latest is L2.35) to enable the iGPU with IPMI.

39 minutes ago, derbo said:

Turn off Turbo boost?

I would do this only of your system locks up if Turbo Boost is enabled.  Disabling it makes my system much more stable.  Some have no problems with Turbo Boost enabled.  It may depend on the CPU paired with the board.  In my case, the E-2288G behaves much better with Turbo Boost disabled.

41 minutes ago, derbo said:

go file configuration for sensors? 

Nothing needed here as far as I know.  The IPMI plugin seems to detect the sensors without issue.  Be sure to let the sensors populate in the BIOS (visit the sensors page in BIOS) before booting into Unraid and all should be well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Hoopster

I ended up installing the E3C246D4U-2T motherboard today! So far everything looks good with one weird oddity.

My server sits at my parents house (they have 1Gbit symmetrical internet) and the BMC Webui was great! Unfortunately, for some reason, when I got home, the WebUI IP no longer pings or able to be access on VPN or even on the UnRAID terminal itself. 

Oddly, IPMI tools plugin on UnRAID still works, and ipmitools command line still works too. I'm stumped why the WebUI isn't working. Is the BMC 1.80 version listed for the E3C246D4U the same as the one for this board? It's not listed on this boards webpage. 

Edit: It appears I can't access the WebUI if I'm using wireguard on UnRAID to VPN in, or ping 10.0.1.14 directly if I'm on UnRAID's terminal. 

It works with another local machine on the network. How strange! 

ipmitool bmc info
Device ID                 : 32
Device Revision           : 1
Firmware Revision         : 1.14
IPMI Version              : 2.0
Manufacturer ID           : 49622
Manufacturer Name         : Unknown (0xC1D6)
Product ID                : 771 (0x0303)
Product Name              : Unknown (0x303)
Device Available          : yes
Provides Device SDRs      : no
Additional Device Support :
    Sensor Device
    SDR Repository Device
    SEL Device
    FRU Inventory Device
    IPMB Event Receiver
    IPMB Event Generator
    Chassis Device
Aux Firmware Rev Info     :
    0x00
    0x00
    0x00
    0x00

Set in Progress         : Set Complete
Auth Type Support       : MD5
Auth Type Enable        : Callback : MD5
                        : User     : MD5
                        : Operator : MD5
                        : Admin    : MD5
                        : OEM      : MD5
IP Address Source       : DHCP Address
IP Address              : 10.0.1.14
Subnet Mask             : 255.255.255.0
MAC Address             : d0:50:99:f6:f1:00
SNMP Community String   : AMI
IP Header               : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10
BMC ARP Control         : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled
Gratituous ARP Intrvl   : 0.0 seconds
Default Gateway IP      : 10.0.1.1
Default Gateway MAC     : d0:50:99:fc:e1:d0
Backup Gateway IP       : 0.0.0.0
Backup Gateway MAC      : 00:00:00:00:00:00
802.1q VLAN ID          : Disabled
802.1q VLAN Priority    : 0
RMCP+ Cipher Suites     : 0,1,2,3,6,7,8,11,12,15,16,17
Cipher Suite Priv Max   : caaaaaaaaaaaXXX
                        :     X=Cipher Suite Unused
                        :     c=CALLBACK
                        :     u=USER
                        :     o=OPERATOR
                        :     a=ADMIN
                        :     O=OEM
Bad Password Threshold  : 0
Invalid password disable: no
Attempt Count Reset Int.: 0
User Lockout Interval   : 0

Edited by derbo
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 8:36 PM, digidep said:

Anyone have a favorite rack mount case?

Currently using Fractal node 804, but going to move all the equipment to a rack.

Currently have 6 3.5" and 2 2.5" drives.

Supermicro SC846

I just migrated my entire setup from a Fractal Define 7 XL to this Supermicro chassis.  You’ll need an HBA adapter and a cable to connect it to the backplane, but then you’ll have 24 hot swap bays to make changing drives an easy and painless process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can someone with E3C246D4U2-2L2T confirm that when M.2 is populated with PCIe SSD, all 8 SATA ports are available?

The manual only states that when M.2 SATA SSD is populated, one of the SATA ports is disabled (shared with M.2 sata), but there is no chart to show that M.2 PCIe SSD + 8 SATA ports is supported (like the Gigabyte version has).
Also, the manual of the smaller ASRock board, C246M WS, does say that even PCIe M.2 disabled one of the SATA ports.

Do the 10G ports on the E3C246D4U2-2L2T support 2.5/5G speeds as well? Here is what Intel says for X550-AT2 NIC:
Data Rate Per Port 10/5/2.5/1GbE (NBASE-T in Linux Only)

Edited by OrdinaryButt