Hoopster

Intel Socket 1151 Motherboards with IPMI AND Support for iGPU

227 posts in this topic Last Reply

2 minutes ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

That makes sense.  I haven't looked into it, but wondering whether you could add a video card for the VM and still use onboard for video transcodes?

I've set the vm to use the ASPEED graphics.

423150286_Screenshot2020-05-26at15_54_33.png.f0b13c4a64808da9934b080acb0092ca.png

Windows didn't h/w manager needed the driver so I used this one from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29123/ASPEED-Onboard-Video-Driver-for-Windows-

So, I think it's time to upgrade my 7-year old server. Currently running an E3-1230v3 on a Supermicro X10SL7-F with 16GB of ECC memory. I was late to upgrading to v6, but, boy! has it increased my usage of the server. That increased usage, though is exposing the limitation of my cores and memory. Unfortunately,  I don't think I can upgrade the processor to anything with more cores, just more MHz. So, this bundles looks pretty good. Two questions:

1. I want to add a gaming VM, would this be a good start to that? I'd think so, but is there anything I'm missing in differences between Xeon and desktop cpus?

2. There are now bundles with Supermicro X11SCL-F motherboards. I haven't seen much talk of that one. Of previous buyers, would you still go with the Asus if this had been available (or maybe it was)? I think SM board only has 6 SATA ports compared to 8 on Asus. Any other major differences?

Thanks!