Motherboard and CPU

Hi there,

I am re-writing this question.

I want a AMD Ryzen build for storage, VMs and docker. I however have no idea which AM4 mainboard will be compatible with unRAID (minimum 6 SATA III ports).

Can you help?

Kind regards

Sherry

Edited by sreese
1 hour ago, sreese said:

HPA

As of September 10, 2010, only Gigabyte boards are affected by the HPA issue. This of course may change in the future.

Is this outdated? Because if so it should be removed from the wiki.

The concept is still very much an issue, whether or not Gigabyte still insists on modifying random hard drives by storing a backup copy of the BIOS code on them with their current boards, I don't know. It's something to be aware of, and if the board (any manufacturer) you are looking at says it can back up and recover the BIOS, you need to be sure you can tell it not to use a hard drive for that function.

The worst offenders would set the recovery location to the first detected hard drive by default, which means that even if you did your due diligence and turned off that function, if the CMOS battery died, or the BIOS settings got reverted, you would kill your array on first boot.

Some people use some rather old hardware for Unraid, so it very well could bite somebody, and the warning needs to stay.