Going to build new unraid server. Need tip for motherbord and cpu

14 hours ago, ashman70 said:

Hard to make a recommendation when we don't know it's intended use. Will you be using it just for storage, or VM's, dockers etc?

This is used mostly for streaming plex for me and friends and saving movies. I have 30tb of movies on my plex server right now.

Also runs the VM and smart home system on VM (win7)

So i need good network card 

Basically want a powerful server, and maybe try gaming via this one too? Not try this yet, and dont know hos its work.

EDIT: 

Think abaout this: 

ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus, S-AM4 motherbord Wil this work on unraid? :)

Pros: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Nettwork: ASUS XG-C100C

and 2x of  G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 RGB 3200Mhz 32GB (2 card pr set) 

Is this nice? Plex and VM gaming?

Edited by knutarn

unRAID is pretty hardware friendly but I would search the forums to see if anyone else has used this hardware to build an unRAID server, if they have, see if they had any issues, if not then you should be fine. In terms of Plex, how many streams at what resolution are you looking to support? The 3700X is pretty powerful CPU so you should be fine, are you going to have a dedicated GPU for gaming? Also you will want an SSD for Plex and your gaming VM.

29 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

unRAID is pretty hardware friendly but I would search the forums to see if anyone else has used this hardware to build an unRAID server, if they have, see if they had any issues, if not then you should be fine. In terms of Plex, how many streams at what resolution are you looking to support? The 3700X is pretty powerful CPU so you should be fine, are you going to have a dedicated GPU for gaming? Also you will want an SSD for Plex and your gaming VM.

The plex run on docker. Do i need ssd then?  I have 10-20 streams :) 

4 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

For the best performance, yes you would want to run it off an SSD. For that many streams you might want to consider hardware transcoding with a GPU like a P2000. Are those streams 720p or 1080p?

Hey! 

How do i get plex on ssd? Do i need too use plex on a win 10 VM and put this on a SSD?  Think 1080p.

Yes I like a GPU to Gaming VM and one to Plex, but this is next prosjekt. First i need to make it work  My old server is going down now 

So i need to make a new server:

Tower: Thermaltake The Tower 900 - Black

Motherbord: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus, S-AM4 

Pros: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Nettwork: ASUS XG-C100C ?+? or can i use network on the motherbord

Ram:  2x of  G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 RGB 3200Mhz 32GB (2 card pr set) 

HDMI to VGA: ICY BOX DP - HDMI/DVI-D/VGA adapter

Do you know how i can check the bios settings on this card? So i can use this card in futures? 

I am new in this:)

Just use an SSD as your cache drive and all your dockers will get installed there. You will need two dedicated GPU's one for gaming in a VM and one for Plex. A single 1080p stream requires a passmark score or 2000, the 3700X has a total passmark score of 23830 so at 10x1080p streams you would already be at 20,000 not leaving that much CPU left for unRAID and other things. If you use a GPU to trans code, then you don't have to worry about CPU usage, but not all GPU's offer unlimited transcoding capabilities, although I think with a hack you can make it work with cheaper gaming GPU's like a 1060.

9 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

Just use an SSD as your cache drive and all your dockers will get installed there. You will need two dedicated GPU's one for gaming in a VM and one for Plex. A single 1080p stream requires a passmark score or 2000, the 3700X has a total passmark score of 23830 so at 10x1080p streams you would already be at 20,000 not leaving that much CPU left for unRAID and other things. If you use a GPU to trans code, then you don't have to worry about CPU usage, but not all GPU's offer unlimited transcoding capabilities, although I think with a hack you can make it work with cheaper gaming GPU's like a 1060.

Aah! Thx! I get smarter! :D When I use gpu for plex, how do i connect it? Need to put plex on a win 10 VM? :) Any tip of any GPU to plex i can use? :)

EDIT: Just Change the appdata folder to cache-prefer ? Then plex is on SSD?

Edited by knutarn
3 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

There is an nvidia plug-in for Plex but you’ll have to find the hack if you want unlimited transcodes with a card like a 1060. Yes if your cache drive is an ssd then typically all your dockers would get installed on it including Plex. 

Aah! :)