VM/VNC not working anymore

Hi All

I have been moving a lot of data around and had to disable VM/Docker and anything that could write to the Array while moving files

Now after starting VM service again (Several reboots) I cant connect to any of my VM's

VNC gives

image.png.357e8c435243410cd2f3f1a77c900084.png

I have enabled turbo write and I disabled PCIe ACS override (Only used it for my Nvidia card and I don't use the passthrough anymore

The network is back to "Default" I removed the 4 NIC card for a Pfsense project

But the network looks ok, and works for my Dockers...

image.thumb.png.0e660d0ffeb2879e17d409cbc23f2acb.png

If I look at the logs for one of the VM's I see

image.png.7b3729cb53aabdf931f9a273e7ed0fa7.png

I can't understand why its not working anymore (Might just be a stupid newbie error)

Any help is much appreciated - last migration from Synology ;-)

UPDATE:

Any repair mode - If something got broken? (Its everyone of my before working VM's that just stopped working?)

Is ACS forever if you first enable it then it has to stay?

I am sure this isn't a misconfiguration of the XML because all of the worked before ;-)

Edited by casperse

Hi there,

So it sounds like the main issue is that the web-based VNC client we have built into Unraid isn't working for you, but do your VMs start ok otherwise, you just can't "see" them through VNC?  If so, please try downloading a VNC client such as RealVNC and see if you can connect to your VMs using that.  If so, we have at least ruled out the issue of the VMs themselves.  Another thing to try is a different browser to see if an ad-blocker or something else may be getting in the way.  I'm going to review your diags here as well and will repost if I find more in there, but these are some good starting points to debugging the issue.

7 minutes ago, jonp said:

Hi there,

So it sounds like the main issue is that the web-based VNC client we have built into Unraid isn't working for you, but do your VMs start ok otherwise, you just can't "see" them through VNC?  If so, please try downloading a VNC client such as RealVNC and see if you can connect to your VMs using that.  If so, we have at least ruled out the issue of the VMs themselves.  Another thing to try is a different browser to see if an ad-blocker or something else may be getting in the way.  I'm going to review your diags here as well and will repost if I find more in there, but these are some good starting points to debugging the issue.

Hi @jonp didn't expect any reply before monday :-)

No actually none of the VM's work? dosent run amd I cannot connect to them?

I really have no idea why? (I have stated what I changed, to do the data migration without writing to the array, while copying data)

The v. 6.8.1 have worked without issues before (Would downgrading and upgrading overwrite VM functionality?

Been trouble shooting on this the whole weekend and really don't know what to do?

Docker works perfect....

The picture in my first post like this

image.png.e6ae74a331e77b86b0eae28cc8ea018b.png

BTW I just remembered I followed the guide and added my 4 NIC's to be used in the future for Pfsense but have not selected any of them in any of my VM's

image.png.2bf98a20f293ee418e4a883b76109159.png

image.png.b5fd55287b845425bf0ebc5d8879c846.png

Could this be what is breaking all the other VM's - seem like a missing network connection?

I was told to add the line for any boot option I use (GUI and without)

(Docker works and I have internet just not VM)

I cant remember if it worked before this changed might as well try to remove it again and see if it change anything?

(I have tried anything else)

image.png

Edited by casperse

Ok, I still don't think you're understanding what I'm asking.  There are two steps required to connect to a VM over the noVNC client.  First is to start the VM, the next is to open the VNC connection.  So what happens when you start the VM?  Does it actually start (meaning the red square next to the icon turns to a green play symbol)?

2 minutes ago, jonp said:

Ok, I still don't think you're understanding what I'm asking.  There are two steps required to connect to a VM over the noVNC client.  First is to start the VM, the next is to open the VNC connection.  So what happens when you start the VM?  Does it actually start (meaning the red square next to the icon turns to a green play symbol)?

Sorry yes they all start - just tried 4:

image.png.43d2097970bd337babaafcc1b80a3a19.png

image.thumb.png.220c5c7bc7050d2f55d75f5e31c868d9.png

Ok, if they are started, then this has nothing to do with your VM configurations.  A started VM is running, but if VNC is failing to connect, something else is amiss.  This could be a browser issue or otherwise.  I previously asked you to test something that you haven't responded to yet:

49 minutes ago, jonp said:

If so, please try downloading a VNC client such as RealVNC and see if you can connect to your VMs using that.

51 minutes ago, jonp said:

Another thing to try is a different browser to see if an ad-blocker or something else may be getting in the way.

8 minutes ago, jonp said:

Ok, if they are started, then this has nothing to do with your VM configurations.  A started VM is running, but if VNC is failing to connect, something else is amiss.  This could be a browser issue or otherwise.  I previously asked you to test something that you haven't responded to yet:

Sorry no same problem - Also some of the VM's like hassio start their own webpage gui and that is not working either

Real VNC

image.thumb.png.641d1aa30230569b9d4b0707347a5fc3.png

2 minutes ago, jonp said:

What IP address did you use for trying to connect?  The IP should be that of your Unraid server and the port should be 5900 or greater (depending on which VM you're trying to connect to).

Server IP:5900 

Thanks for all your help, I will try to do a roollback tomorrow (I can not reboot the server before then...)

And remove any changes I did the last couple of days... (didn't really do big things)

Getting late here need some sleep - Again BIG thanks for your time I really appreciate it !!! 

No problem!  If you do manage to figure this out before we do, please reply back and let us know what fixes it because this one does have me scratching my head a bit.  Another thing to check is after starting your VMs, what does your CPU usage look like on the dashboard?  Are your CPUs just pegged at 100% like their stuck doing something or does usage seem normal for VMs?  You'll have to observe for a minute or two as during the initial boot sequence, maxed out CPUs are normal, but if after a few minutes it's still maxed out, something is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I tried so many things and honest don't know what caused this? But my VM's are running (The few that didnt was caused by some network DHCP problem and I mistakenly thought that was related to all my VM's not working) 

Short version I have my VM back but I can only connect to them by Firefox (Like other reports above) - Chrome in VNC seem to be broken (New update?) also listing the VM page seem to take much longer time than on Firefox? Docker is still working fast and show all dockers quickly so only on VM page 

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 3:28 PM, sir_storealot said:

If anyone else stumbles upon this via google, I had exactly the same problem, clearing the website cache and cookies in chrome fixed the issue for me.

Just found this thread through google and doing that worked for me on Firefox.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Can confirm this is an issue. Cannot connect via Chrome. Other browsers do work. Even Edge. At least ONCE. Then it bugs out and gives an error. So it seems Unraid (?) or VNC (?) in some way does something that makes the web page bork up.

Edited by Akely