log samba permission-denied events

Dav3

Well, my 'three ideas' feature request post only interested the crickets.  So something a little more prosaic:

I just spent several hours troubleshooting a windows credentials cache -> unraid samba share permissions issue.  It was really hit or miss but a few breadcrumbs would have really helped me resolve the issue faster.  I see a lot of share permissions questions in the forums that this might help address as well.  A big problem is there was no indication of what was happening in the syslog.  I ended up having to drop down to sniffing network traffic with my protocol analyzer box to pinpoint the issue, something us newbs may or may not enjoy spending their saturday on.  So,

Request:  When the samba fileserver service generates a 'permission denied' reply, generate a log message in the syslog of the event, including details on the request username and the share involved.  Maybe manage log spamming by throttling, and/or make the logging of such events toggleable via the unraid UI.

Ideally 'fix common problems' would catch the issue to help resolve this issue for us noobs.  While their saturday morning isn't yet wasted.

What would Chode do??  @Squid

Edited by Dav3