Change from FreeNas to UnRAID questions

Hello,

i hope i find some help here.

At the moment i ran a 4*4TB Freenas system with a AMD 2200G and a b-450 motherboard.

Its just a Nas at the moment to store my files and for my familie. The problem with FreeNas is, that im to stupid to get Nextcloud to work. BOught a domain. dyndns, cloudflare all that was working but i was unable to connect my SMB share to the nextcloud jail thingy. I gave up on tha plan.

Now i was thinking to change my system to Unraid, create a Nas system for now with all my data like in freenas for my network and than install nextcloud or something like that.

The question is now: Is it easy on UnRaid to install a cloud software, get it connected over my domain AND get the share working between my SMB? network folder and the cloud?

I wanna be able to connect to ALL my files on the nas while im not at home. 

i dont really wanna buy a nas bay for 300+€ just to get the cloud working like i want it.

SOOO

- Network Storage with multible users where folders are only useable for some users(rights)

- Cloud service that i can use over my domain that i bought

- cloud must be connected to my network folders

I hope you can understand what i wanna do. It needs to be easy and fast.

Best regards,

Morrian/Steffem

Also new to unRAID myself, but there's one guy, called SpaceInvader One, who makes great videos regarding unRAID and guess what he also has one on setting up Nextcloud with DNS (DuckDNS in this case) and LetsEncrypt.

You can always get a 30-day trial key for unRAID and see if you can set it up.

Edited by Stiibun
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Morrian said:

That looks promessing! I think i must backup my datas on my offline hdd and than start to play around with it.

Unraid must be installed on a usb drive? 
Freenas is on a nvme m.2 ssd at the moment. (just for the lulz xD)

Yes definitely back up your data before playing around.

Unraid must be installed on a USB stick and only USB stick with unique GUID. Most branded USB sticks have unique GUID.

Preferably plug your USB stick to a USB 2.0 port. (USB 3.0 ports have been known to drop the stick offline for suspected overheating).

now i know more or less how to set up nextcloud on unraid

is adding a shared network folder that already exists on unraid a easy task to get in the nextcloud via "external storage"?

Because that is the only thing that i dint got to work on freenas.

Befor i start playing around^^

Ok i used a test licens and testet a bit around. Everything was working fine so far, but im not sure if the NIC will produce problems in the future.

I have a asrock B450M-HDV board with a "Realtek RTL8111H" NIC. Will i run into Problems with it like in freenas?

If yes, i only have a free PCI-E X1 slot, so i thought i COULD go for a other NIC.

Would this work without problems, if the realtec NIC runs into problems?

"HP Intel Ethernet I210-T1 GbE NIC E0X95AA"

Regards,

3 minutes ago, Morrian said:

Would this work without problems, if the realtec NIC runs into problems?

"HP Intel Ethernet I210-T1 GbE NIC E0X95AA"

Realtek NICs have had issues on unRAID from time to time.  It all depends on how often Realtek keep their Linux drivers up to date.  Right now, Realtek NICs seem to be working with unRAID, but that could change with future kernels/drivers.  Intel NICs, such as the one you mentioned for the PCIe slot have always worked without issue.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:04 PM, Morrian said:

is adding a shared network folder that already exists on unraid a easy task to get in the nextcloud via "external storage"?

Because that is the only thing that i dint got to work on freenas.

Befor i start playing around^^

Technically possible. You can map any share to any docker container via docker volume mappings. You'd still have to assign the path to a user somehow, but that's more on the Nextcloud side I suspect - or via symlinks maybe.

I managed it long ago on OwnCloud, so it should be do-able, just haven't bothered with it on my own install.