Feedback on new home server build and Disk setup.

Strongside-TA

Hey everyone.

Just posting here to get some feedback on my new build, since I am completely new to unread I also have some questions about my disk arrangement.

My Build is:

Case: Lian Li PC-O11D XL

MOBO: Pro WS X570-ACE

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3900X

RAM: DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit 2 kits so in total 64GB

Powersupply: Asus ROG Thor 850W

GPU 1: ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™  ( For Gaming / Cloud gaming VM )

GPU 2: NVIDIA® QuADro® P2000 ( For Plex passthrough )

HDD: 4 x Ironwolf NAS 16GB 3 for NAS / Plex and 1 for parity.

M.2: Samsung 970 EVO SSD M.2 2280 - 1TB ( For steam library )

M.2: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD M.2 2280 - 500GB ( For Cache / Plex cache )

SSD: Samsung 860 Evo MZ-76E500B 500GB ( Windows OS )

Since my knowledge about harddiske setup in unpaid is next to nothing, I would love some feedback on this.

My intentions is a VM for gaming ( Steam Library / Parsec for cloud gaming ) and a Plex server / Nas for Timemachine backup and general backup of data, and a docker for Unify controller.

Edited by Strongside-TA

Some pointers:

• You P2000 will have to be in the 1st slot since I don't think Asus mother board allows you to pick 2nd PCIe slot to boot with. So it will be GPU1 = P2000 and GPU2 = RTX 2080.
  • Make sure to save down several versions of the BIOS (including old ones). There are some BIOS that was known to cause troubles with pass through.
  • Don't overclock your RAM. Run it at stock speed i.e. 2133MHz. (3200MHz official speed is still an overclock and it has been known to cause weird and wonderful issues even when you think it's rock solid stable.
  • Start with using the SATA 860 Evo for Unraid cache and try to pass through the 2 NVMe M.2 to your VM as PCIe device (i.e. stub it and tick it in the "other PCIe device" section of the VM template). That will give you the best performance. since it looks like gaming is a very important use case for you.
    • If you don't understand stubbing, watch Spaceinvader One tutorials on youtube about PCIe pass through.
    • Use the 500GB for Windows OS and the 1TB for Steam library with overflow to a network-mapped drive which is your array.
  • You might also want to consider Intel offerings. If gaming is very important, the CCX/CCD design of Ryzen will catch a lot of new users off-guard when it comes to optimisation.
12 hours ago, testdasi said:

Some pointers:

• You P2000 will have to be in the 1st slot since I don't think Asus mother board allows you to pick 2nd PCIe slot to boot with. So it will be GPU1 = P2000 and GPU2 = RTX 2080.
  • Make sure to save down several versions of the BIOS (including old ones). There are some BIOS that was known to cause troubles with pass through.
  • Don't overclock your RAM. Run it at stock speed i.e. 2133MHz. (3200MHz official speed is still an overclock and it has been known to cause weird and wonderful issues even when you think it's rock solid stable.
  • Start with using the SATA 860 Evo for Unraid cache and try to pass through the 2 NVMe M.2 to your VM as PCIe device (i.e. stub it and tick it in the "other PCIe device" section of the VM template). That will give you the best performance. since it looks like gaming is a very important use case for you.
    • If you don't understand stubbing, watch Spaceinvader One tutorials on youtube about PCIe pass through.
    • Use the 500GB for Windows OS and the 1TB for Steam library with overflow to a network-mapped drive which is your array.
  • You might also want to consider Intel offerings. If gaming is very important, the CCX/CCD design of Ryzen will catch a lot of new users off-guard when it comes to optimisation.

Thanks a lot for the pointers you, would this intel Build be better:

Mobo: ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore

CPU: Intel I9-10920X

Edited by Strongside-TA