Video Editing VM

Jaster

Hi Guys,

I'd like to setup a VM for video editing to use applications like adobe premier pro and preferly enable gpu support.

But even without gpu support, if I try video editing via RDP, it is sluggish (due to RDP I assume).

So has anyone any hints or experience seting up something like this?

I have edited video remotely via RDP (client is a Surface) and the experience is not too bad but I do have a GPU passed through.

Having a GPU is pretty important with video editing (or at least with Adobe Premiere).

I remember reading somewhere that just having a GPU alone (even low-end one) improves performance tremendously.

You also want more cores to a certain point, beyond which core clock is more important than core count.

My experience is that 1080p needs around 6 and 4k needs no more than 16.

The exception is warp stabilisation - that needs as many cores as you can throw at it, especially if you need to stabilise multiple clips simultaneously.

Fast storage medium is also recommended.

For 1080p, you probably can get away with storing source files on the array (i.e. HDD).

My experience with 4k says HDD is just not fast enough for smooth scrubbing so you probably want at least a SATA SSD.

8k needs NVMe. Scrubbing 8k on HDD is a laughable experience.

49 minutes ago, dvd.collector said:

I didn't think using RDP you could get hardware acceleration from your GPU.

I found using teamviewer rather than RDP worked better for me.

This is what I am concerned about. I mean if Premiere uses the GPU for rendering, etc and the UI is just RDP its fine.

Has anyone any expirience with that? As Teamviewer isn't very fast either...

1 hour ago, dvd.collector said:

I didn't think using RDP you could get hardware acceleration from your GPU.

I found using teamviewer rather than RDP worked better for me.

That would have been right 5-10 years ago but it's not true any more.

Even back when RDP didn't work with games, GPU hardware acceleration still worked.

You can now play games via RDP on Windows 10 (it was also reported to work with Windows 8 but I don't have any Windows 8 machine to test).

• Not all games will work. Some games work but buggy e.g. audio issues.
  • Latency is ok but don't expect to play twitchy FPS
  • Graphics performance is more like watching a movie (think 24fps) so again no twitchy stuff

18 minutes ago, Jaster said:

This is what I am concerned about. I mean if Premiere uses the GPU for rendering, etc and the UI is just RDP its fine.

Has anyone any expirience with that? As Teamviewer isn't very fast either...

Don't expect to use Teamviewer for free. Their free for personal uses policy is a scam because they can arbitrarily say "commercial use detected" and force you to pay for it. Just google "Teamviewer commercial use detected" and fine the comically long complaint topic about this issue, for which Teamviewer can't even bother to respond.

Even if let's say RDP doesn't work, there are so many free alternatives out there such as NoMachine, Parsec, even VNC just to name some.

But note that remote desktop is still remote desktop. If you expect to be just like you are sitting next to the workstation then you will be disappointed.

1 hour ago, testdasi said:

That would have been right 5-10 years ago but it's not true any more.

Even back when RDP didn't work with games, GPU hardware acceleration still worked.

You can now play games via RDP on Windows 10 (it was also reported to work with Windows 8 but I don't have any Windows 8 machine to test).

• Not all games will work. Some games work but buggy e.g. audio issues.
  • Latency is ok but don't expect to play twitchy FPS
  • Graphics performance is more like watching a movie (think 24fps) so again no twitchy stuff

Don't expect to use Teamviewer for free. Their free for personal uses policy is a scam because they can arbitrarily say "commercial use detected" and force you to pay for it. Just google "Teamviewer commercial use detected" and fine the comically long complaint topic about this issue, for which Teamviewer can't even bother to respond.

Even if let's say RDP doesn't work, there are so many free alternatives out there such as NoMachine, Parsec, even VNC just to name some.

But note that remote desktop is still remote desktop. If you expect to be just like you are sitting next to the workstation then you will be disappointed.

It may be different by application I suppose, but I'm using win10 physical machine to a win10 vm (with an nvidia GPU passed through) and when using RDP the gpu is not detected for hardware encoding in Resolve (or Powerdirector).   Using teamviewer it is.