CPU for new unRaid build

yahooo

Hi guys,

I plan on building a nas server using unRaid and I need some advice on the hardware side. Currently i have an I5 6400 cpu and a GTX1050 graphics card. The server will be used mainly for Plex (4k transcoding will be needed) and running some VM's off of it, no gaming or any stuff like that. I mostly will be using the VMs for linux server and mac  OS - web development stuff no photo or video processing .

The problem that I'm facing is related to the cpu, it has only 4 cores with only 4 threads so if I need to run some dockers for plex or deluge and a VM in the same time it's basically running out of resources.

Now i'm faced with a dilema rgarding what to do:

1. Buy a Ryzen 5 2600 (6 cores 12 therads) and a new mb with it, this will set me back about 200$ - transcoding will be needed but I hope to get the GTX1050 to do that

2.Buy a used Xeon processor but the trouble is that I'm not able to find a decent mb for it (only chinese knockoffs) at a reseonable price 

The main problem that I have is relating transcoding and VM.  If I can't get the GTX1050 to do transcoding will I be able to use plex for streaming with the Ryzen?

Also another question is relating to VM, if I go with the Ryzen cpu will I be able to run a mac OS VM using macinabox? by default mac OS does not support Ryzen  so a lot of thinkering needs to be done.

Just to mention, this is my first unraid build. I'm only testing out unraid for a few days now using the the i5 so i'm not very familiar with the challanges and issue that go along with any of the variants that I have.  Some advice on this is much appreciated.

Edited by yahooo
On 2/4/2020 at 12:02 PM, yahooo said:

The main problem that I have is relating transcoding and VM.  If I can't get the GTX1050 to do transcoding will I be able to use plex for streaming with the Ryzen?

Also another question is relating to VM, if I go with the Ryzen cpu will I be able to run a mac OS VM using macinabox? by default mac OS does not support Ryzen  so a lot of thinkering needs to be done.

Just to mention, this is my first unraid build. I'm only testing out unraid for a few days now using the the i5 so i'm not very familiar with the challanges and issue that go along with any of the variants that I have.  Some advice on this is much appreciated.

Your i5 6400 has Quick Sync I believe so if you are going to do Plex hardware transcoding anyway, you might as well give that a try before upgrading. That can offload some CPU requirement. I think the only thing that won't work is HEVC 10-bit, which needs Kaby Lake.

If you need a Mac, buy a Mac. Considering you just need it to do web development, shouldn't be too expensive.

Other than being a pretty novelty, I have never found the effort required to make a Mac OS VM work worth it.

I also strongly dislike the idea that Apple can just pull the plug on all Hackintosh by suing everyone to the ground.

Which I'm sure they will do once they can't charge double market price for shit components that the customers can't repair.

Edited by testdasi
  • Like 1