6600K Usefull?

Gabi3x

Hi everyone!

First of all, sorry from my poor English. We french people are usually awfull with other langages. At least you won't have the french accent ;-)

I'm planning on buying a new workstation based on the new Ryzen cpu for 3D, photoshop, productivity (mainly), gaming and VR (the rest of the time :-))

My faithfull I5-6600K and it's 16Gb of DDR4 Ram @ 3000 MHz, with its MSI Z170A Gaming PRO Carbon motherboard; 650 PSU and the MSI RX 570 might be the new hardware for my long awaited server.

My idea, on which I'm begging for your advices, will be to use this 'old' hardware to build an Unraid server that I'll use for:

- Nas with 1 SSD 500Gb (cache), 1x4Tb RED HDD (parity), 2x 2tb HDD and 4x1 Tb HDD ( those are blue graded, and I have a PCI-E adaptater for 4 additionnal Sata)
- Docker for a Calibre Server
- W10 VM for remote gaming (my job makes me travel quite a bit) for a bunch of specific games (mostly turn based, such as modded Battletech (Roguetech),Blood Bowl 2, and "MMO" with Naval Action)
- Plex server (not a priority)
- Surely some other dockers for network related docks (VPN, pfsense?)

I'll be the only user of the server (may be my daughter a few times for the NAS or Calibre), and if i'm using the VM, I won't be using the plex server.
I also have an old AMD athlon 2 x2 250 and old Intel cpu that I don't even remermber, that I surely use to experiment cluster computing

Do you think that my Cpu, while not Hyperthreaded, will be strong enough? Is the RAM quantity enough?

I've seen a bunch of you have professional graded servers, but my aim is to reuse my old hardware and focus on buying a good new hardware for my 'almost' professional use of the future Ryzen build.

Thanks to those who will give me their thoughts about this idea ;-)

For your load, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm running an i7-2600 with 8 sata 6gbps drives and several sata 3gbps drives attatched. I use an nvidia GTX 760 in my win 10 vm. My hardware is notably older than what you're proposing, and I have no issues. If you already have the hardware, I'd say fire it up! You do get a 30 day trial!