unRAID Server Release 4.6 "Final" Available + 5.0-beta News

limetech

I'm a new user to unRAID and this will be my first time upgrading. My current version is 4.5.6. Based on the instructions provided, I believe I need to only copy over the following files:

bzimage

bzroot

memtest

Is this correct?

The upgrade instructions are confusing as there is a section titled:

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:
It doesn't seem like I should follow the steps in that section.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a new user to unRAID and this will be my first time upgrading. My current version is 4.5.6. Based on the instructions provided, I believe I need to only copy over the following files:

bzimage

bzroot

memtest

Is this correct?

The upgrade instructions are confusing as there is a section titled:

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:
It doesn't seem like I should follow the steps in that section.

Yes just the 3 files, bzimage, bzroot and memtest.

There is also a section that says,

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:

bzimage

bzroot

You would have stopped there and not continued further.  Copying memtest is not needed to upgrade, however a new version was added.  So if you want the new version of memtest, update that as well.
hello Tom,

I have a problem with NFS shares with 5.0 beta 2 it dos not work with the TVIX 6600/N and the popcorn hour C200,

can you please fix this problem in the 5.0 beta 3

kind regards

hans

I've upgraded to the 4.6 to get rid of the HDIO log errors but the NFS share to my popcorn hour C200 network media player broke. I've since downgraded back to 4.5.6 and the NFS share is back working again.

Thanks Josh

I've upgraded to the 4.6 to get rid of the HDIO log errors but the NFS share to my popcorn hour C200 network media player broke. I've since downgraded back to 4.5.6 and the NFS share is back working again.

Thanks Josh

Please see the 4.6rc4 thread and read Toms strong recommendation.  He basically says to dissacociate/kill/unmount any NFS connections to the server before upgrading to this release.  Those notes did not get copied over.

If you remove the NFS shares from your C200, shutdown unRAID, shut down the C200, restart unRAID, restart the C200m then unRAID, then reconnect the NFS shares you should be good.

Hi Tom,

I am using vmware server on unRAID an after upgrading to 4.6 I started to receive the following message in the log:

Dec 9 09:40:19 Tower kernel: /dev/vmmon[8681]: /dev/rtc enable interrupt failed: -25

and this is repating many many times a day.

Quick googling around it shows that this is something to do with missing HPET:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-830954-start-0.html

Is it possible by any chance that HPET/Real Time Clock support has been disabled?

Thanks for that, I'll give the shutting down thing a go when I get back home.

I think something is telling you to get rid of that popcorn hour....lol

I am full of them tonight....lol.. Tongue

I have 3 of them and they have generally been pretty fault free. The slimserver on unRaid gives me a lot more headaches and a much lower WAF.

Josh

Thanks for that, I'll give the shutting down thing a go when I get back home.

I have 3 of them and they have generally been pretty fault free. The slimserver on unRaid gives me a lot more headaches and a much lower WAF.

Josh

the popcorn hour rocks,

i have the C-200 and wouldn't trade it for anything, even a ps3

Hi Tom,

I am using vmware server on unRAID an after upgrading to 4.6 I started to receive the following message in the log:

Dec 9 09:40:19 Tower kernel: /dev/vmmon[8681]: /dev/rtc enable interrupt failed: -25

and this is repating many many times a day.

Quick googling around it shows that this is something to do with missing HPET:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-830954-start-0.html

Is it possible by any chance that HPET/Real Time Clock support has been disabled?

The .config file used to build the kernel is identical to the 4.5.6 version. Nothing should have changed in the kernel at all. If there is no issue with 4.5.6, there should be no issue with 4.6.

Thanks Josh

Please see the 4.6rc4 thread and read Toms strong recommendation.  He basically says to dissacociate/kill/unmount any NFS connections to the server before upgrading to this release.  Those notes did not get copied over.

If you remove the NFS shares from your C200, shutdown unRAID, shut down the C200, restart unRAID, restart the C200m then unRAID, then reconnect the NFS shares you should be good.

Just chiming in. Is this any issue with XBMC? I love unRaid + REVO3600 XBMC ;D

Thanks Josh

Just chiming in. Is this any issue with XBMC? I love unRaid + REVO3600 XBMC ;D

It's a NFS issue, so it's an issue for any program or OS that access UnRaid server by NFS. Just make sure that you kill/stomp out/massacre any existing NFS shares before upgrading. :)

As soon as all the issues related to above upgrades are ironed out, I will release -beta3 (well I might try and get a first stab at AFP in there as well & also have to fix some issues with Active Directory).

I'm really curious how you worked around those hidden afp files being created on every folder you visit...  :)

You mean the .DS_Store and ._ files?  Because there is no way around that.  It is something that Mac OS X does and you can stop it from doing it to network drives, but there is nothing the server can do to stop it.

I did create an unMenu package that removes these files from the server and it is set up as a cron job to run as much or as little as a user likes.

To prevent .DS_Store and ._ files, run BlueHarvest from Zeroonetwenty.  Great software, I have noticed no impact to my system's responsiveness, and it keeps all that stupid clutter off my server (and my Drobo, and my external drives, and...)  It's a client solution, not a server solution, but after all it's the client that generates the files.

Popcorns and SqueezeboxServer are both running perfectly well here (unRAID 4.6rc5).  What is your problem with slimserver?

Popcorns and SqueezeboxServer are both running perfectly well here (unRAID 4.6rc5).  What is your problem with slimserver?

With the slimserver I've posted below that it spins up my disks now and again, not so much a fault but annoying.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8616.0

The more major issue is that I run it with

perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

My understanding is that the --daemon command should keep it running all the time but it turns it self off what appears to be randomly so when the wife turns on the squeezebox it doesn't always connect leading to poor WAF.

Josh

My understanding is that the --daemon command should keep it running all the time but it turns it self off what appears to be randomly so when the wife turns on the squeezebox it doesn't always connect leading to poor WAF.

Josh

This is seriously off topic but you will need to look at the squeezecenter logfile and see what it reports as an error. I found that my custom installation failed miserable but when I installed it following the instructions here everything worked first time and has just worked for the past 2 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me a direct link to the 4.6 non all in one release (if there is such a direct link) please? I am rebuilding my server hardware to add more capacity :)

I went to download it and it says that the page is being modified so it won't download.  If needs be I will just wait :)

Just download the all in one version.  Just don't use the extra files included with it.  The AIO version just contains some extra files so that it is easier for new users to set up a flash drive.

Can anyone tell me a direct link to the 4.6 non all in one release (if there is such a direct link) please? I am rebuilding my server hardware to add more capacity :)

It's on the normal Download page:

http://lime-technology.com/download/cat_view/49-unraid-server

I went to download it and it says that the page is being modified so it won't download.  If needs be I will just wait :)

Where did you see this?