All Data Drives Missing: Please Help

7 minutes ago, itimpi said:

There will be some difference if it is still in Unassigned Devices.    If the names match then the reported size may be fractionally different which will cause Unraid to treat it as a different device.

So how do I tell unRAID to assign it back to being Disk 1?  I'm at a loss of what to do? 

Is there a way to pull the data off Disk 1 if I connect it to another PC? It's encrypted so I'll need to un-encrypt it somehow. 

If i install Ubuntu, can I un-encrypt it and copy the data to another drive? 

Should I contact Limetech at this point?  

Edited by adminmat

I suspect problem relate encrypted issue, suggest use a spare USB stick and install a new Unraid OS to verify does hardware problem first. If new stick can show all disks ( freely show in array or UD ) that means not hardware issue. ( unplug original stick and don't mount disks in new OS )

Edited by Benson
1 hour ago, Benson said:

I suspect problem relate encrypted issue, suggest use a spare USB stick and install a new Unraid OS to verify does hardware problem first. If new stick can show all disks ( freely show in array or UD ) that means not hardware issue. ( unplug original stick and don't mount disks in new OS )

So a new fresh unRAID install would pull these disks into an array? Wouldn't they just make them Unassigned Devices and ask you to format or pre-clear them before you can add them to the array? 

I don't get the option currently to un-encrypt. Or add to the array. Can you please elaborate?

I'm pretty stressed about this. 

8 minutes ago, adminmat said:

So a new fresh unRAID install would pull these disks into an array? Wouldn't they just make them Unassigned Devices and ask you to format or pre-clear them before you can add them to the array?

Pls keep your original USB stick unplug and untouch.

Just don't assign any disk to array on new fresh Unraid, expect you can see all disks for select in array, this just to test any hardware problem relate to your problem. I think you spend too much time on troubleshoot for hardware.

Sorry I have zero experience on encrypt array pool and how to decrypt it.

Edited by Benson
4 minutes ago, Benson said:

Pls keep your original USB stick unplug and untouch.

Just don't assign any disk to array on new fresh Unraid, expect you can see all disks for select in array, this just to test any hardware problem relate to your problem. I think you spend too much time on troubleshoot for hardware.

Ok thanks. I'll pull the old unRAID USB and try this tomorrow after work. Technically I should be able to un-encrypt these drives in any unRAID server if I use the password, right? 

5 hours ago, adminmat said:

Ok thanks. I'll pull the old unRAID USB and try this tomorrow after work. Technically I should be able to un-encrypt these drives in any unRAID server if I use the password, right? 

I think you can solve the problem if you confirm not hardware issue relate. I also expect you could mount these encrypt drives in any unRAID server with correct password, but I haven't sold experience on that.

Edited by Benson

I am creating a 2nd USB drive for unRAID. I have currently been running 6.6.7. Looks like Limetech has removed all other past versions from the USB flash creator and the Download page. I assumed I should stick with 6.6.7 for this "recovery USB". 

Where can I find 6.6.7? 

Should I try 6.8.2? (only option showing)

Also, Should I pull my cache pool drives out before i boot the new unRAID USB?  I'm worried that pulling them out at this point may make them unrecoverable as well? 

Edited by adminmat

@Benson , @johnnie.black I went ahead and booted unRAID 6.8.2 on a separate USB. I left the cache drives connected and connected one HDD to the motherboard SATA port. It does show up in the drop down menu. I did not select any drives. I've since powered off the server. 

What should I do next?

(I should add that when I watch the boot screen via IPMI I saw many "errors", "failed" messages with the previous boot USB as unRAID loads. I did not see them this time)

New Diagnostics attached 

new.png.cd983e96d44dda8cc5f5b3bd29a7c171.png

tower-diagnostics-20200207-1745.zip

Edited by adminmat
3 hours ago, adminmat said:

(I should add that when I watch the boot screen via IPMI I saw many "errors", "failed" messages with the previous boot USB as unRAID loads. I did not see them this time)

The error should due to Unraid try to mount those disk in original stick and new stick haven't, so no those error.

Bad sign was it confirm all three 8TB disks got SMART Log Directory table read/write error.

General Purpose Log Directory Version 1
Address    Access  R/W   Size  Description
0x00       GPL     R/O      1  Log Directory
0x03       GPL     R/O      1  Ext. Comprehensive SMART error log
0x04       GPL     R/O    256  Device Statistics log
0x07       GPL     R/O      1  Extended self-test log
0x08       GPL     R/O      2  Power Conditions log
0x0c       GPL     R/O   5501  Pending Defects log
0x10       GPL     R/O      1  NCQ Command Error log
0x11       GPL     R/O      1  SATA Phy Event Counters log
0x12       GPL     R/O      1  SATA NCQ Non-Data log
0x13       GPL     R/O      1  SATA NCQ Send and Receive log
0x15       GPL     R/W      1  Rebuild Assist log
0x21       GPL     R/O      1  Write stream error log
0x22       GPL     R/O      1  Read stream error log
0x24       GPL     R/O    256  Current Device Internal Status Data log
0x25       GPL     R/O    256  Saved Device Internal Status Data log
0x30       GPL     R/O      9  IDENTIFY DEVICE data log
0x80-0x9f  GPL     R/W     16  Host vendor specific log
0xe0       GPL     R/W      1  SCT Command/Status
0xe1       GPL     R/W      1  SCT Data Transfer

ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x03:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)
Read SMART Extended Comprehensive Error Log failed

Read SMART Error Log failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)

ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x07:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)
Read SMART Extended Self-test Log failed

Read SMART Self-test Log failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)

Read SMART Selective Self-test Log failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)

May be due to those error, Unraid will identify those disk were bad.

Next I would suggest perform disk SMART short / extended "self" test to verify does disk can read the disk media, For extended test on a 8TB disks, it need ~20hrs to complete, pls don't do anything during extended test, otherwise it may interrupt the test.

Anyway, don't allocate any disks in new OS.

SMART.thumb.png.780778ccec1883eb1b1118c443aedcd5.png

EDIT 1:

If disk media allow read and write then it means data may recovery.

If just SMART error made system identify it bad, does mask/block SMART data access can solve the problem ??

EDIT 2:

For extended test on a 8TB disks, it need ~16hrs

Edited by Benson
4 minutes ago, Benson said:

The error should due to Unraid try to mount those disk in original stick and new stick haven't, so no those error.

Bad sign was it confirm all three 8TB disks got SMART Log Directory table read/write error.

General Purpose Log Directory Version 1
Address    Access  R/W   Size  Description
0x00       GPL     R/O      1  Log Directory
0x03       GPL     R/O      1  Ext. Comprehensive SMART error log
0x04       GPL     R/O    256  Device Statistics log
0x07       GPL     R/O      1  Extended self-test log
0x08       GPL     R/O      2  Power Conditions log
0x0c       GPL     R/O   5501  Pending Defects log
0x10       GPL     R/O      1  NCQ Command Error log
0x11       GPL     R/O      1  SATA Phy Event Counters log
0x12       GPL     R/O      1  SATA NCQ Non-Data log
0x13       GPL     R/O      1  SATA NCQ Send and Receive log
0x15       GPL     R/W      1  Rebuild Assist log
0x21       GPL     R/O      1  Write stream error log
0x22       GPL     R/O      1  Read stream error log
0x24       GPL     R/O    256  Current Device Internal Status Data log
0x25       GPL     R/O    256  Saved Device Internal Status Data log
0x30       GPL     R/O      9  IDENTIFY DEVICE data log
0x80-0x9f  GPL     R/W     16  Host vendor specific log
0xe0       GPL     R/W      1  SCT Command/Status
0xe1       GPL     R/W      1  SCT Data Transfer

ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x03:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)
Read SMART Extended Comprehensive Error Log failed

Read SMART Error Log failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)

ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x07:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)
Read SMART Extended Self-test Log failed

Read SMART Self-test Log failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)

Read SMART Selective Self-test Log failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)

May be due to those error, Unraid will identify those disk were bad.

Next I would suggest perform disk SMART short / extended "self" test to verify does disk can read the disk media, For extended test on a 8TB disks, it need ~20hrs to complete, pls don't do anything during extended test, otherwise it may interrupt the test.

Anyway, don't allocate any disks in new OS.

SMART.thumb.png.780778ccec1883eb1b1118c443aedcd5.png

Ok I'll run the test when home from work. How can 3 disks go bad at the same time? Is this normal for just having power cut off once? Is there a way to clear the errors? Thanks for your help.

1 minute ago, adminmat said:

Ok I'll run the test when home from work. How can 3 disks go bad at the same time? Is this normal for just having power cut off once? Is there a way to clear the errors? Thanks for your help.

Those unusual, it usually due to power issue ( not power cut, may be high voltage ). In fact, seldom see those tragedy.

12 minutes ago, adminmat said:

Is there something i need to do before i can start the test?

Nothing need to do before the test. This should be expected, SMART have error and won't allow to perform SMART self test.

I compare if disks connect to LSI HBA or onboard controller, Unraid also prompt error, so it really trouble. If no breakthrough method, then I don't think you could solve the problem.

Do you have some USB <-> SATA bridge adapter ?? If yes could you try attach a disk to it and plug in Unraid and provide the diagnostic.

1 minute ago, Benson said:

Nothing need to do before the test. This should be expected, SMART have error and won't allow to perform SMART self test.

I compare if disks connect to LSI HBA or onboard controller, Unraid also prompt error, so it really trouble. If no breakthrough method, then I don't think you could solve the problem.

Do you have some USB <-> SATA bridge adapter ?? If yes could you try attach a disk to it and plug in Unraid and provide the diagnostic.

I don't have one but I could order one. So it could connect via USB but not directly with SATA? 

I'd like to try this but it wont mount to the old unraid OS. Should I try a Ubuntu OS? And try to copy it from there? I need just the data from Disk 1. I don't have a backup. 

I can't believe 3 nearly new drives would all fail at the same time. Is there a service I can contact for help? Or should I contact Western Digital?

4 minutes ago, adminmat said:

So it could connect via USB but not directly with SATA?

Yes. But wait some minute, because I will show a diagnostic for attach a USB disk for your ref.

6 minutes ago, adminmat said:

Should I try a Ubuntu OS?

I don't think it could help and your disk also encrypt.

7 minutes ago, adminmat said:

I can't believe 3 nearly new drives would all fail at the same time.

Yes, but sorry it happen.

7 minutes ago, adminmat said:

Is there a service I can contact for help? Or should I contact Western Digital?

May be, but RMA would just replace another drive for you. For recovery, it cost much and the SMART data seems store on media instead disk circuit board flash, so disk recovery service by change the circuit board seeems impossible.

3 minutes ago, Benson said:

Yes. But wait some minute, because I will show a diagnostic for attach a USB disk for your ref.

I don't think it could help and your disk also encrypt.

Yes, but sorry it happen.

May be, but RMA would just replace another drive for you. For recovery, it cost much and the SMART data seems store on media instead disk circuit board flash, so disk recovery service by change the circuit board seeems impossible.

Instead of the SATA to USB adapter can't I just put it back in the Easystore enclosure it came with? 

3 minutes ago, adminmat said:

Instead of the SATA to USB adapter can't I just put it back in the Easystore enclosure it came with? 

It is OK for disk2 only, if you don't care too much for the empty drive. But this just to test does Unraid won't identify the drive were bad.

Or I have those adaptec too, I can make some test instead you try on your hot data disk.

29 minutes ago, Benson said:

It is OK for disk2 only, if you don't care too much for the empty drive. But this just to test does Unraid won't identify the drive were bad.

Or I have those adaptec too, I can make some test instead you try on your hot data disk.

I connected the drive to it's Easystore board. Plugged in the drive via USB. I can't run the SMART test. Maybe the Easystore enclosure board has an effect?  Should i assign i to the array?

12121.thumb.PNG.34a8bfd3493035fff649987dfffb0ecc.PNG

Edited by adminmat

I try two USB adapter, but all will passthrough the SMART data to Unraid. I want found some which won't passthrough the SMART data and see this would help or not for your case. BTW no advice in this moment, pls wait other party for advice.

sdb was Unraid OS USB stick

sda was a USB disk and all SMART data also passthrough

u.PNG.8581dc70bc3ff30f85f4716ae09828a4.PNG

u2.PNG.e65e7a99c58a49cb331a15757cbebd9d.PNG

Edited by Benson