[support] Roxedus ts-dnsserver

Roxedus/docker-TS-DnsServer

Technitium DNS Server in a container

Technitium DNS Server is an open source tool that can be used for self hosting a local DNS server for privacy & security or, used for experimentation/testing by software developers on their computer. It works out-of-the-box with no or minimal configuration and provides a user friendly web console accessible using any web browser.
TechnitiumSoftware/DnsServer

• Does not use port 80 or 443 to do it's blocking. It just voids the requests. 
  • Offers DNS-over-TLS and DNS-over-HTTPS
  • Integrated support for using a proxy-server for requests
  • The list goes on
Edited by Roxedus
On 2/6/2020 at 1:35 AM, GreenEyedMonster said:

I'm new to this so please ignore my ignorance... but why this over pi-hole?

This seems to be a full dns server, whereas pihole is just a dns forwarder if im correct.  I am still testing this and I like that I can add dns entries.  It seems faster than pihole as im boucing between both testing stuff.

You can also use pihole for encrypted dns by using ONLY cloudfare servers on port 853.  You might also need to block local request on the firewall for port 53 or you may have leaks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have just started using this docker and so far it is really good. I do however have some questions if I may

1) I cant seem to find any to delete a lease. I had a server on a static ip address and mistakenly set the dhcp range wrong and it gave out that address. So I changed range to not include my server but the lease was still there.

2) If I have my unraid server use it as its nameserver then unraid cannot resolve anything

3) is it not possible to reverse proxy it? I use NginxProxyManager for all my dockers but it just does not seem to work for Technitium 

Thanks for a great product!

On 3/11/2020 at 12:15 PM, Squiggley said:

I cant seem to find any to delete a lease

I dont use it for DHCP, jsut DNS, cant help with that. sorry

If I have my unraid server use it as its nameserver

Probably because macvlan block traffic from the host to the container by default.

is it not possible to reverse proxy it?

I have not attempted this yet. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this setup, and so far, this is wonderful. I'd been using a FreeIPA setup in a VM to accomplish these tasks before (wasn't using the auth part of it, so it was kinda overkill), but had been lamenting not having a decent alternative. I still am using AdGuard Home to do my filtering before it gets to this (also because it's super light weight, so I have AdGuard containers on different infrastructure, so I can reboot the NAS without my wife strangling me with a network cable), but they reach upstream to the Technitium server now. Thanks for your work on getting this set up! 

i've install it  an hour ago and really like it!

but i have a couple questions since its a littlebit new to me.

how can i achieve a lower response time, how do i build up a cache.

it is running local so do i need dns over https or dns over tls. and how can i configure it (sorry im new in this world)

do you have some other tips for me ?

Thank you very much for sharing this awsome software. comined with my sophos XG im getting more and more self hosted/safe.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First, just want to say thanks. I've been using the docker as my main DNS server for a while now, it's been working flawlessly.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:07 AM, Roxedus said:

Only on buildtime, not runtime. A new image is now built, with the 5.0.1 version

A  new minor version is out: 5.1

Looks like it'd be worth building a new image.

Technitium DNS Server Change Log

Version 5.1

Release Date: 29 August 2020

Implemented async IO to allow the DNS server handle much higher concurrent loads.

Implemented independent thread pools for DNS web service and recursive resolver.

Fixed bug in block list downloader that caused 0 byte file downloads.

Fixed bug in DHCP server in creating reverse zone.

Multiple other minor bug fixes and improvements.

Version 5.0.2

Release Date: 18 July 2020

Fixed issue of missing port for "This Server" in DNS Client.

Added domain name that was blocked in the TXT record.

Fixed bugs in CNAME cloaking implementation.

Upgraded .NET Framework version to v4.8.

Multiple other minor bug fixes and improvements.

I currently have all my networks restricted to using pihole which is set to use unbound (locally hosted in pfsense) to resolve dns queries (where the request isn’t cached). I do not use any external dns service.  What benefit would introducing this software into my setup give me?

Edited by danioj
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 7:15 AM, Squiggley said:

I have just started using this docker and so far it is really good. I do however have some questions if I may

1) I cant seem to find any to delete a lease. I had a server on a static ip address and mistakenly set the dhcp range wrong and it gave out that address. So I changed range to not include my server but the lease was still there.

2) If I have my unraid server use it as its nameserver then unraid cannot resolve anything

3) is it not possible to reverse proxy it? I use NginxProxyManager for all my dockers but it just does not seem to work for Technitium 

Thanks for a great product!

At least you got the dhcp to respond to requests.... It is not doing it for me...  🙂

Edited by ximian
  • 5 weeks later...

I am very new to this so I am sure I am missing something simple, but I can't get this to work.

I have this docker image running in host mode, with the standard ports. However, I cannot seem to get any queries through to it.

If I run nslookup www.gooogle.com <unraid ip> I get

connection timed out; no servers could be reached

I have also tried using the host command, as well as setting my laptop's DNS server to unraid's IP. I also see no queries on the web portal dashboard. Am I missing a step here?

• 1 month later...

Hi @Roxedus,

After some research I decided to install this container to have an DNS with sinkhole capabilites and DHCP server in single container and not deploying a VM for that but I'm having problems with the DHCP server

I deployed the container as Custom:br0 with custom IP 192.168.1.200 but after setting up the DHCP pool no device in my internal network is able to receive any IP configuration from the DCHP server.

I tried to add UDP port 67 for the DHCP discovery just in case but it's not working.

The DNS server is working without any problems as my internal DNS server but nothing to do with DHCP.

I check the port 67 and it's closed/filtered.

I'm a newbie with containers but maybe the container needs some modifications for the port 67?

You can call me crazy or something worse but after more digging i saw that at the bottom of Dockerfile.amd64 there is a line that looks like "expose" ports for the container: EXPOSE 5380 53/udp, maybe can be changed to add port 67/udp and then DHCP will be accesible?

Thanks.

Edited by iTHiNDiL