Host -> Bridge modifies the Ports

Cessquill

The Unifi Controller Docker occasionally needs running in Host mode.  When I revert it back to bridge, a port has changed.  I'm putting it here, as I don't *think* it's container specific (everything is done editing the template).

Steps

• Set port 8883 to 8884 in the template (8883 is in use on my system by Heimdall)...

image.png.18220a1e909c52616e989f5f0c188711.png

• System works, but temporarily need host mode to discover access points
  • Switch to Host mode
  • Can only access UI via port 8883, so temporarily turn off other docker using it
  • Configure access points just fine
  • Switch back to Bridge mode
  • The read only container port in the template has mysteriously set itself to 8444.  Can no longer access system, as there is no longer a port 8883

image.png.8cc136c9a2a1cf9681dea9b7a41209c6.png

All I've done is switched to Host and back, and the read-only container port has changed from 8443 to 8444.  I have to delete the container port and recreate it.

This happened when I originally configured it last summer, but just happened again on 6.8.2. 

Is this an issue with Docker, an unfortunate side-effect, or am I being stupid?  It's obviously not a huge issue, but it took me a while to work out why I lost access.

1 hour ago, Cessquill said:

System works, but temporarily need host mode to discover access points

If you have all the necessary ports mapped, there should be no need for host mode.

10001/UDP AP Discovery
3478/UDP  STUN
6789/TCP  Speed Test
8080/TCP  Device and Controller communication
8443/TCP  GUI
8843/TCP  Guest Portal
8880/TCP  Guest Portal Redirect

I suspect the important ones for local management are the UDP ports.

Just now, jonathanm said:

If you have all the necessary ports mapped, there should be no need for host mode.

Thanks - it seemed to be a requirement/oddity when I originally set it up.  Probably isn't now, and it's a job for the weekend to go through it again.

Not sure why bouncing it to host and back would alter the GUI port though.