NAS

xgotgot

2 minutes ago, xgotgot said:

Hello, I would like to create a Nas server with unraid. I currently have 4 discs and I would like to find a case equivalent to Nas synology, but which would accept to take unraid in OS.

Thanks for you helping.

U-NAS cases look very similar to Synology NAS solutions.  You are limited to Mini-ITX motherboards with many of these cases, but, they have up to 8 SATA ports depending on the one you chose.

Since unRAID boots from a USB flash drive and loads and runs in RAM, there are really no concerns with picking any motherboard or case you wish as long as there is a USB port (preferably USB 2) from which to boot unRAID.

2 hours ago, testdasi said:

You are better off with something a little bigger like the Fractal Design Node 304.

@xgotgot I built my backup server in a Node 304 case.  It's a solid choice for a compact build and holds up to 6 HDDs/SSDs.

The biggest issue with this case is that the drives are not hot-swappable and getting to the drives is difficult once they are in the case.

Edited by Hoopster

Very compact but not off-the-shelf-NAS-compact might be the notorious Silverstone DS380 case.

Has some thermal issues that have to be addressed. (search "cardboard trick" / 2x 3D-printed parts on thingy verse)

But it holds 8 front accessible 3,5 inch HDDs + 4x2,5" internal. Maybe overkill for you - or expandable...

5 minutes ago, xgotgot said:

Thank you for your answers, I need a ready to use system, the Node 304 case seems great to me but is it easy for me to put the unraid system on this kind of device?
If yes, how ?

I don't think any of the answer relates to ready-to-use systems. We were talking about building a PC and then install Unraid as an OS.

I already have my pc running unraid, but I want to dissociate this because I am limited with vms for certain things.
So I want to extract my discs from my current case to put them in a nas or I would put my unraid license there.
I would then install my operating system on my current pc to no longer have a vm.

Let's say I buy the Node 304 case.
What more do I need?
Power supplies?
Motherboard ?
RAM?
Graphic card ?

Knowing that I just want to run a NAS with 4 disks (which I already own), and some dockers to manage my media library (Radarr, Sonarr, Bazzar, Deluge, Jackett, PlexMediaServer).

Edited by xgotgot
On 2/6/2020 at 10:42 AM, xgotgot said:

Let's say I buy the Node 304 case.
What more do I need?
Power supplies?
Motherboard ?
RAM?
Graphic card ?

Knowing that I just want to run a NAS with 4 disks (which I already own), and some dockers to manage my media library (Radarr, Sonarr, Bazzar, Deluge, Jackett, PlexMediaServer).

The case is just a case. It has places to mount a motherboard, power supply and disks.

You may not need a graphic card for what you want. You will need a CPU, most motherboards don't include one. And a power supply and RAM of course.

And you need the CPU, motherboard, and RAM to be compatible.

PCPartPicker can help you choose components:

https://pcpartpicker.com/

24 minutes ago, xgotgot said:

A small configuration would be enough to run a nas system and dockers, it does not require a lot of resources?

Correct.  Look at my signature for the specs of my Backup/Test server.  It is a Mini-ITX motherboard in the Node 304 case.  No GPU is needed because I have a CPU with a built-in iGPU, but, even that is not absolutely necessary because the board can run completely headless (i.e. managed through a browser on a network connected device).  The CPU is an i5 4590 which is sufficient to run the NAS functions plus Docker containers you mentioned.  For what you want to do, a minimum of 8GB RAM would be recommended.  I have 16GB in my backup server and that would give you some overhead for high utilization situations.  

As mentioned, the Node 304 case can accommodate up to 6 HDDs and you could actually velcro some SSDs on the outside of a couple of the disk hangers if you wish if the disk hangers are full of HDDs and your motherboard has 8 SATA ports.  The disk hangers will also allow mounting of SSDs.

I have a motherboard with 6 SATA ports in that case so, all hanger slots are used by the parity drive and 5 data drives.  I do not have any SSDs/cache drives in that backup configuration.

In the Node 304 case you will need:

• A Mini-ITX motherboard with at least 6 SATA ports in case you want to add more disks or SSD cache drive(s)
  • A CPU compatible with your motherboard (with or without integrated GPU depending on your needs - iGPU can be used for Plex hardware transcoding if you go with Intel);  How much horsepower you need in the CPU may depend upon Plex transcoding needs and whether or not you have an iGPU.  CPU passmark scores come into play here depending on your transcoding needs
  • A CPU cooler if one is not included with your CPU
  • RAM compatible with the motherboard/CPU combo
  • A power supply - although the case will accommodate an ATX power supply, I highly suggest you go with the smaller SFX PSU in this case
  • Your four disks from existing system

Do not throw stuff at me or something, but since the OP is so bend on exactly 4 HDDs and otherwise basic specs plus some mild uncertainty about the rest of the hardware needed, can I just throw in like any boring HP ProLiant MicroServer?

Are they any good (with Unraid)? Expandability is propably NIL, so maybe a bad idea in the long run. Idk.

• 2 weeks later...