x16 Slot graphics card in x8 Slot possible?

• 7 months later...

I have a follow on question to this. Wondering if someone could help. I have a server coming with the following motherboard https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SRH-CF

It has 1 PCI-E 3.0 x4 (in x8)

1 PCI-E 3.0 x8 (in x16)

2 PCI-E 3.0 x8

1 PCI-E 2.0 x2 (in x4)

1 PCI-E 2.0 x4 (in x8)

I already have a GTX1650 installed in the 1 PCI-E 3.0 x8 (in x16). I wanted 2 GPUs. One for transcoding in a Plex docker and 1 to pass through to my windows VM.

Problem is, the only other PCIe slot is the 2 PCI-E 3.0 x8. Is it possible to fit a low profile GPU card in here?

It depends how much space you have.

You can get a hard (PCB) PCI-E X8 to X16 riser, to let you put a half height GPU in a full height slot though you may need to make or modify the rear bracket from a blank so it sits properly.

You could get a flex riser cable and mount the card elsewhere (if you have a space). If you can't get a x8 to x16 you could just mod a x8 x8 or x16 to x16.

A little hacky but you can carefully cut/melt the plastic from the back end of the PCI-E socket so a larger card will fit.

Very hacky, cut down the gold finger on the GPU to X8.