Re-organizing Unraid after 4 years.

Aran

Hi there,

Now that i know what i really want and which dockers/plugins i really need, it is time to reorganize my array.

This is what i have:

array.jpg

As you can see we don't need muchos TB's to save our data. Currently all data is stored in the array. (with the exception of docker appdata and vm's) 

2TB of the total 3TB are movies. The rest are documents and photo's. I have backup scripts running every night.

Now, these are the dockers/VM we use:

• dolphin filemanager
  • emby
  • nextcloud
  • mariadb
  • duckdns
  • letsencrypt

• win10 VM

And now for the first question:

This is what i had in mind:

Array: - 4TB (parity)

- 4TB 

Cache: - 1TB ssd

- 1TB ssd

UD: - 1TB (nextcloud only)

- 1TB passthrough for win10 VM

- 6TB Backup USB

I was thinking of moving the docs and photo's to the cache and leave only the movies in the array. We are constantly browsing/copying/reading/writing through our pictures and documents every day so i tought it might be beneficial to have them on an ssd. Am i right here or is this complete bullsh*t?

Thanks in advance.

Aran

5 hours ago, Aran said:

Cache: - 1TB ssd

- 1TB ssd

5 hours ago, Aran said:

I was thinking of moving the docs and photo's to the cache and leave only the movies in the array.

If in terms of access performance then put frequency access data in cache is true. But you also need consider it may corrupt and need further handling. Does 1TB enough for PIC and DOCs ?

Pls also note some SSD even perform worse then HDDs.

On 2/7/2020 at 2:38 AM, Benson said:

Pls also note some SSD even perform worse then HDDs.

True. I'm aware of that. I still need to figure out what brand/model i should use. 

1TB is more than enough for our needs. We currently have 250GB of docs and pics and just over 2TB of video's/movies. One might say unraid is completely overkill for our needs :)

On 2/8/2020 at 1:44 PM, Aran said:

True. I'm aware of that. I still need to figure out what brand/model i should use. 

1TB is more than enough for our needs. We currently have 250GB of docs and pics and just over 2TB of video's/movies. One might say unraid is completely overkill for our needs :)

If you have a good backup strategy for your important data (and you should), then you don't need to have 2x1TB in cache. It's more important for SSD endurance that you separate write-intensive and static data so you could use 1x1TB in cache (for cache stuff i.e. write-intensive) and use 1x1TB as UD for documents. If you want to utilise Unraid share user control then some symlinks will do the trick.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So this how it's set up now with everything working:

Array:  - 3TB (parity)

- 3TB

- 3TB

Cache: - 500 SSD

• 6 shares:
    • User1:          set to use disk 1 only, cache to 'Yes'.
    • User2:         set to use disk 1 only, cache to 'Yes'.
    • Nextcloud:    set to use 'cache only'
    • appdata:      set to use 'cache only'
    • domains:      set to use 'cache only'
    • Media:          set to use disk 2 only, cache to 'No'.

UD: - 1TB  -  shared with win10 vm, used for backups User1 & User2.

- 3TB  -  USB storage used for backup Media.

I use the 'user scripts' plugin to backup user shares to the UD disks. The 1TB disk is shared with a win10 VM that syncs this disk with cloud storage as this is important data.

As you can see this is a relatively cheap server.

Is there some room for improvement here? Without buying new hardware offcourse :)

Another question:

Several jobs are scheduled daily in user scripts plugin. Backup, mover, TRIM, WOL, ... Is there a way to automatically disable these jobs when parity job is running?

Edited by Aran