[Support] kru-x - wordpress

11 hours ago, jowi said:

Doesn’t work. I’ve set my port to 6262 in the docker settings, but the webui CONTEXT menu in the unraid docker page, the context menu where you can start and stop the container etc, ignores it and opens a totally different port, in my case the port where my ubiquity unify controller is located.

Hi Jowi,

What is the link showing when you hover over WebUI in the context menu? It should say ip:port, eg what you have added to the WebUi in the template, your case probably http://192.168.1.100:6262 (if that is your internal IP). I suspect that you have wrong redirects in WP due to how you have installed it.

Kru-x

What do you mean with wrong redirects due to install? If i look in the wordpress dashboard/settings, the ip and port is the same as in the unraid docker settings (192.168.1.25:6262 in both cases).

If i hover over the webui context menu however, unraid shows 192.168.1.25:8080 in the statusbar, which is my unify controller. But i never entered 8080 in wordpress anywhere during setup nor install, so this is probably wordpress's default port? And hidden somewhere in a settings file somewhere inside the wp container? In the database, site_url and home fields in wp_options are also both set to 192.168.1.25:6262.

*edit*

Solved :) i just had to edit the webui PORT setting from [IP]:[PORT:8080] to 6262 in the advanced mode of the container settings in unraid... this is what you suggested in the first place, but i did not know you could manually set this in the advanced mode... never noticed this :)

Edited by jowi
2 hours ago, jowi said:

What do you mean with wrong redirects due to install? If i look in the wordpress dashboard/settings, the ip and port is the same as in the unraid docker settings (192.168.1.25:6262 in both cases).

If i hover over the webui context menu however, unraid shows 192.168.1.25:8080 in the statusbar, which is my unify controller. But i never entered 8080 in wordpress anywhere during setup nor install, so this is probably wordpress's default port? And hidden somewhere in a settings file somewhere inside the wp container? In the database, site_url and home fields in wp_options are also both set to 192.168.1.25:6262.

*edit*

Solved :) i just had to edit the webui PORT setting from [IP]:[PORT:8080] to 6262 in the advanced mode of the container settings in unraid... this is what you suggested in the first place, but i did not know you could manually set this in the advanced mode... never noticed this :)

Glad you solved it,

Re redirects, people run in to the problem all the time, especially when they install on the local Ip address and want to switch to a domain or change port/ip. Previous post will tell the story, just think about it before you do too much changes and later on want to switch, easier to install it with the domain name or use a program to migrate the WP + DB.

Kru-x

Another issue. I'm using nginx proxy manager to redirect my domain to the unraid internal ip, works on some mobile devices, but on my mac i get this website rendered... no pictures, no styles, just large icons. The site works fine on my ipad. Have cleared cache, did not help. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 01.02.02.png

8 minutes ago, jowi said:

On my local ip, and used nginx proxy manager to redirect my domain name to it.

That’s probably your issues, its the redirects I’ve been talking about. WP stores most in the db, so if you installed it on your ip, it is trying to redirect to 198.168.1.1/yourpage. Easiest is to sort out you domain first and the start the installation from there. Read previous post in this thread, it explains it well.

kru-x

Ok... this is getting silly. Now i've re-installed everything (including database) and now i can view the site from my domain, also the wp-admin, but NOT from my unraid machine... if i go to wp using unraid webui (so to my 192.168.xx.yy:port) it complains about ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR, while SSL is NOT configured. I'm really starting to hate wordpress now.

9 minutes ago, jowi said:

Ok... this is getting silly. Now i've re-installed everything (including database) and now i can view the site from my domain, also the wp-admin, but NOT from my unraid machine... if i go to wp using unraid webui (so to my 192.168.xx.yy:port) it complains about ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR, while SSL is NOT configured. I'm really starting to hate wordpress now.

Take a deep breath, ;-) its a computer and you need to start think like one. 🙂 It do exactly what it should do, when it is on the domain, why would you need to reach it from you ip. First time when you installed it on your ip and a browser request a page, WP (the server returns) hey browser you can find the css at 192.blblabla/css, it cant because obviously its not there, you said some devices could and was probably due to that you where connected to your local network with it. A browser on a laptop have better security so it will complain it it see something weird as in this case. The same goes for the opposite. 

It works as you said from your domain, then you are good!

Kru-x

Hi there,

created a mariaDB wordpress database and a user with password. Than installed wordpress from CA. The docker started but the logfile tells me something like this:

AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.8. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.8. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
[Thu Nov 26 22:16:34.096526 2020] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 1] AH00163: Apache/2.4.38 (Debian) PHP/7.4.12 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Thu Nov 26 22:16:34.096567 2020] [core:notice] [pid 1] AH00094: Command line: 'apache2 -D FOREGROUND'

When I try to open WebUI, Chrome tells me: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Can anybody help? Thanks guys..

28 minutes ago, tmryvz said:

Hi there,

created a mariaDB wordpress database and a user with password. Than installed wordpress from CA. The docker started but the logfile tells me something like this:

[Thu Nov 26 22:16:34.096526 2020] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 1] AH00163: Apache/2.4.38 (Debian) PHP/7.4.12 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Thu Nov 26 22:16:34.096567 2020] [core:notice] [pid 1] AH00094: Command line: 'apache2 -D FOREGROUND'

When I try to open WebUI, Chrome tells me: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Can anybody help? Thanks guys..

Wordpress is not connecting to the database, probably wrong settings for the DB. Look at the screen shot in this post. its more or less leave all settings blank, Wordpress wants to connect to the DB with root access to have full access, if you add a name and password you have to manually go in to the DB and adjust those.

Kru-x

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 3:33 PM, Kru-x said:

Sorry it should have been /mnt/user/appdata/your_folder this is the path on your unraid server. Krusader probably mounts the user/ as root/ so it should be the same as yours.

1556726018_ScreenShot2020-10-29at5_02_24am.thumb.png.b71442390bf4d3ede787c54f03b7f22e.png

See the "/var/www/html", this is the path (folder) inside the container, and the "mnt/user/appdata/wordpress-temp" is the path (folder) on your server. What version of docker wont matter.

So when you crank up a new container all files in "/var/www/html" (in this case all files in a new WP installation, the root of your site) gets copied to "mnt/user/appdata/wordpress-temp", after that on each update or restart of the container, all files in this folder should be persistent as docker wont copy and overwrite any files/folders with the same name.

I tried Krusader ones but I didn't get it (i'm on mac and are using Forklift), how do you edit and save the wp-config.php file can you confirm in the terminal, if you go to the "mnt/user/appdata/your-site" (your case Root/Appdata/your-site) that the file is actually changed in there after edit. Looks to me that you are editing the file in the container, or that the storage is not persistent on your server but then the whole site would change so I am a little bit lost on that one.

Kru-x

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.02.24 am.png

So I should be editing in /var/www/html? I'm currently editing in Root/Appdata/my-site. I can't find /var/www/html. Let me try to download forklift. If you could answer this question that would help immensely. Thanks.

On restart files are being copied from /var/www/html -> /root/appdata/my-site. You are saying that it is only copying files over if the names have been changed. I can verify that it is still copying the wp-config file. So my question is, I need to know where the /var/www/html location can be found so that I can edit those files instead. I think that will solve my issues. 

Edited by dancue
6 hours ago, dancue said:

So I should be editing in /var/www/html? I'm currently editing in Root/Appdata/my-site. I can't find /var/www/html. Let me try to download forklift. If you could answer this question that would help immensely. Thanks.

On restart files are being copied from /var/www/html -> /root/appdata/my-site. You are saying that it is only copying files over if the names have been changed. I can verify that it is still copying the wp-config file. So my question is, I need to know where the /var/www/html location can be found so that I can edit those files instead. I think that will solve my issues. 

Hi dancue,

You need to read up a bit on how Docker works, then you will understand the setup better. You should not edit the files in the container as those files are changed every time you update or restart, the /var/www/html path is inside the container and has nothing to do with Forklift that is a ftp/ssh client that you can connect too Unraid with. You can use the Console (click on the WordPress icon) in Unraid to connect into the container, but much of the time you shouldn't need to, and changes there would definitely change during restart or update.

You say "copying the wp-config file" but i guess you mean overwrite. It is odd and maybe ask in the general docker container forum (https://forums.unraid.net/forum/47-docker-containers/) why a file is being is overwritten it shouldn't be, I don't know and cant understand why it is.

Sorry I can't give you an answer,

Kru-x 

Hello All 

Unless I am been totally stupid here - I have installed Wordpress - But in the WebGUI for it where you advise the datbase password etc - I cant see anywhere where I can set the database name - when I look at the config file - its getting a default database as WordPress - But I want to change this. 

What am I missing? 

1 hour ago, IKWeb said:

Hello All 

Unless I am been totally stupid here - I have installed Wordpress - But in the WebGUI for it where you advise the datbase password etc - I cant see anywhere where I can set the database name - when I look at the config file - its getting a default database as WordPress - But I want to change this. 

What am I missing? 

If you are talkiing about the WP template,  just leave all settings referring to the DB blank, then you will be presented with WordPress installation where you can choose DB name and location. Delete the folders in between.

Kru-x

On 11/26/2020 at 10:56 PM, Kru-x said:

Wordpress is not connecting to the database, probably wrong settings for the DB. Look at the screen shot in this post. its more or less leave all settings blank, Wordpress wants to connect to the DB with root access to have full access, if you add a name and password you have to manually go in to the DB and adjust those.

Kru-x

Thx a lot. Dont create mariadb database for wordpress and just leave db user blank when installing wordpress docker worked just fine for me. So I guess, wordpress is getting root access and creates database by itself?

On 12/27/2020 at 8:24 PM, tmryvz said:

Thx a lot. Dont create mariadb database for wordpress and just leave db user blank when installing wordpress docker worked just fine for me. So I guess, wordpress is getting root access and creates database by itself?

Correct! 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question or maybe more than "a" question lol.

So I'm building a Woocommerce site that will be hosted with a hosting service, but I want to create a exact copy of it to have as a test environment so when I need to do updates and such I can do them in the test environment first to make sure everything works before doing them on my live site. Can I use this app on my Unraid server to do that and just load in all the files from my hosted website to create a exact copy?

Further, if something happened like if my website host went down or my site got hacked or corrupted, couldnt I just point the A record to my Unraid ip:port where the WP is docker is and host the site temporarily from my Unraid?  Would it be better to incorporate this with some firewall security stuff since its a ecomm site?

I'm sorry, Ive never done anything like this, our site has always been on a hosted service (Shopify), I'm just now switching to Woocommerce where I have to host it.....so this is all new to me. I'm just wanting to confirm if all of that will work. At the time being I'm not yet done building the website.  

Edited by SPOautos
7 hours ago, SPOautos said:

I have a question or maybe more than "a" question lol.

So I'm building a Woocommerce site that will be hosted with a hosting service, but I want to create a exact copy of it to have as a test environment so when I need to do updates and such I can do them in the test environment first to make sure everything works before doing them on my live site. Can I use this app on my Unraid server to do that and just load in all the files from my hosted website to create a exact copy?

Further, if something happened like if my website host went down or my site got hacked or corrupted, couldnt I just point the A record to my Unraid ip:port where the WP is docker is and host the site temporarily from my Unraid?  Would it be better to incorporate this with some firewall security stuff since its a ecomm site?

I'm sorry, Ive never done anything like this, our site has always been on a hosted service (Shopify), I'm just now switching to Woocommerce where I have to host it.....so but no worriesthis is all new to me. I'm just wanting to confirm if all of that will work. At the time being I'm not yet done building the website.  

Hi there,

More i say 🙂, but no worries. Some difficult questions and an answer that I hate is, "it all depends on".

But as a staging or beta server this setup is perfect (at least for me), I develop on my laptop/desktop and the are all runnig the same system, mysql & Wordpress in docker containers. I move my sites around with Duplicatior pro. I can fire up as many as I like and delete them when I am done with them.

I also host one site on my unraid and sync the DB to a Beta server in the cloud as I am about to move it. I would be carefull if I stored customers details and would thread carfully, I belive my server is pretty safe but there is a lot of settings that can go wrong, but in the end it can go wrong anyware and I love my server setup. The only thing, it is not reliable as in "no downtime server", a power cut or a fault on the street and my server goes down hence I moving my production server/site to the cloud.

A good starting point is to read up about docker if you are not familiar with it and use the same system on all computers you are working on. Tha "app" as you call it is a full copy of Wordpress dockerized in a container and is maintained by the Wordpress creators, can't be more secure and reliable than that, very smart guys, I mearly added the template for it to be used on Unraid.  

Hope my answer gives you some hints at least,

Kru-x

On 1/15/2021 at 4:20 AM, Kru-x said:

Hi there,

More i say 🙂, but no worries. Some difficult questions and an answer that I hate is, "it all depends on".

But as a staging or beta server this setup is perfect (at least for me), I develop on my laptop/desktop and the are all runnig the same system, mysql & Wordpress in docker containers. I move my sites around with Duplicatior pro. I can fire up as many as I like and delete them when I am done with them.

I also host one site on my unraid and sync the DB to a Beta server in the cloud as I am about to move it. I would be carefull if I stored customers details and would thread carfully, I belive my server is pretty safe but there is a lot of settings that can go wrong, but in the end it can go wrong anyware and I love my server setup. The only thing, it is not reliable as in "no downtime server", a power cut or a fault on the street and my server goes down hence I moving my production server/site to the cloud.

A good starting point is to read up about docker if you are not familiar with it and use the same system on all computers you are working on. Tha "app" as you call it is a full copy of Wordpress dockerized in a container and is maintained by the Wordpress creators, can't be more secure and reliable than that, very smart guys, I mearly added the template for it to be used on Unraid.  

Hope my answer gives you some hints at least,

Kru-x

Thanks for the info! I'm trying to get this all configured correctly. I installed MarinaDB and then installed Wordpress. But I changed the Wordpress port from 8080 to something else because I had SAB on 8080. But eventhough I changed the port to a free port, when I click on the webui it still tries to open up ip:8080 and sab pulls up.  Will it alllow me to change the port?

To clarify, when I go to webui and it pulls up SAB, I can just change the port to the one I assigned it and WP pulls up fine. Its just that when I click on the webui it isnt going to the port I assigned it.

Thanks so much for any info you can give. I'm excited to get this figured out, I'm going to try making this my test environment and backup host for the Woocommerce site I'm building.

Edited by SPOautos
4 hours ago, SPOautos said:

Thanks for the info! I'm trying to get this all configured correctly. I installed MarinaDB and then installed Wordpress. But I changed the Wordpress port from 8080 to something else because I had SAB on 8080. But eventhough I changed the port to a free port, when I click on the webui it still tries to open up ip:8080 and sab pulls up.  Will it alllow me to change the port?

To clarify, when I go to webui and it pulls up SAB, I can just change the port to the one I assigned it and WP pulls up fine. Its just that when I click on the webui it isnt going to the port I assigned it.

Thanks so much for any info you can give. I'm excited to get this figured out, I'm going to try making this my test environment and backup host for the Woocommerce site I'm building.

There is a setting (andvanced)  in the template where you can manually assign the ip:port fore the webgui, I can also recommend that you to read throught this thread. Re: changing IP/ports, you can and will run in to problem when and if you change port other than what you installed WP on. Several posts erlier speaks about this and some run in to weird problems with this. But it has a logic explaniation and as long as you play it right it works fine.

Kru-x

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Kru-x said:

There is a setting (andvanced)  in the template where you can manually assign the ip:port fore the webgui, I can also recommend that you to read throught this thread. Re: changing IP/ports, you can and will run in to problem when and if you change port other than what you installed WP on. Several posts erlier speaks about this and some run in to weird problems with this. But it has a logic explaniation and as long as you play it right it works fine.

Kru-x

Thanks Kru-x! okay, I have it now where I can pull up WP with the webui and everything works. This is obviously super new to me, I've had a website for 5years but it has been a hosted Shopify site and I'm working on replacing it with a Woocommerce site so I'm just trying to figure things out.

I've read through this thread but just want to make sure I understand some things correctly. if I start creating a website and its on my server ip/port then as I create it and install plugins and all that kind of stuff, its all going to be based on that IP address and then if I get ready to move it to my hosting service and be on my live domain/url, I will need to follow something in this link you shared in a post a while back https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-change-your-wordpress-site-urls-step-by-step/ and this will change everything from ip/port to live url and it will all work correctly, is that right?

Is there a way to create it using my actual URL but like its 'offline' or something where I can only see it locally (since I already have a live website at said url)? So that way when I upload it to the host service it will all be correct and nothing will need to be changed?  Or likewise so that I could take a backup from my hosting service and open it on my unraid to test plugins and such. Ultimatly I want my Unraid WP to be a test environment for my website so I can test updates and plugins and such before I do them to the live site. Just trying to gauge the best way to do that.

Edited by SPOautos
8 hours ago, SPOautos said:

Thanks Kru-x! okay, I have it now where I can pull up WP with the webui and everything works. This is obviously super new to me, I've had a website for 5years but it has been a hosted Shopify site and I'm working on replacing it with a Woocommerce site so I'm just trying to figure things out.

I've read through this thread but just want to make sure I understand some things correctly. if I start creating a website and its on my server ip/port then as I create it and install plugins and all that kind of stuff, its all going to be based on that IP address and then if I get ready to move it to my hosting service and be on my live domain/url, I will need to follow something in this link you shared in a post a while back https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-change-your-wordpress-site-urls-step-by-step/ and this will change everything from ip/port to live url and it will all work correctly, is that right?

Is there a way to create it using my actual URL but like its 'offline' or something where I can only see it locally (since I already have a live website at said url)? So that way when I upload it to the host service it will all be correct and nothing will need to be changed?  Or likewise so that I could take a backup from my hosting service and open it on my unraid to test plugins and such. Ultimatly I want my Unraid WP to be a test environment for my website so I can test updates and plugins and such before I do them to the live site. Just trying to gauge the best way to do that.

Hi SPOautos,

You are on the right track in your understanding. I can only tell you how I work and what I found best, I am sure others would have different opinions. But wordpress works as if you add a page or any redirects to a page/photo/shopping basket or whatever, it saves that value or "link" in the database, so if you have it installed on 192.168.1.100:8080 thats the pointer that is saved.

You have to convert those values to the right ones as in the link you refer to if you move/migrate the site. The easiest way I find and the plugin that I use is "Duplicator Pro", it is to move my site around either way, production to develop or the opposite, it works great, it is a small cost but it saves you a lot of headaches. It will convert all the links and copy the DB and the whole site in one, easy as. You just have to fire up a new wp container on any machine and wipe the folder clean, add the files from Duplicator pro and it will automatically install the whole site with the right url's. Kru-x

• Like 1