Probably a stupid question

... but I'll ask anyway :)

I have a disk that's been marked bad and it's in "read only" for that one disk.

If I pull it and put in a new disk, I'm under the impression that the data rebuild will write back the read only filesystem, correct?

So I have to pull the array offline while the disk scans (approx 20 hours, ugh). 

So would correct procedure be:

1) stop the array, run reiserfsck on the disk (/dev/md8)

2) correct the file system errors

3) replace the disk

OR

1) replace the disk

2) have the data rebuild commence and complete

3) run reiserfsck on the new disk to remove the read-only file system?

Or can I replace the disk and have the array rebuild the data? I am just trying to avoid downtime.

Again, probably a stupid question. Be kind :)

8 minutes ago, Tophicles said:

If I pull it and put in a new disk, I'm under the impression that the data rebuild will write back the read only filesystem, correct?

No, rebuilding can't fix filesystem corruption.

9 minutes ago, Tophicles said:

have a disk that's been marked bad

Do you mean the disk is disable? If yes you should post the diagnostics.

Yes, the disk has been disabled. Now, the thing to note here is I was using Marvel controllers (now switched to LSI) so there have been "bad" disks before that weren't bad. I realize rebuilding won't fix the corruption, that's why I was thinking that the rebuild would simply put the "bad: filesystem on the new drive. I'll post the diags....

Hmm interesting... that reboot was because I replaced the Marvel controller with an LSI and after MONTHS of disk8 saying it's a read-only file system, it now does not. I can make/remove dirs without issue. So, the file system check does require the array to be offline though, correct? I'll have to do that when users are not using it - it takes like 20+hours to test. 

Edited by Tophicles
9 minutes ago, Tophicles said:

Hmm interesting... that reboot was because I replaced the Marvel controller with an LSI and after MONTHS of disk8 saying it's a read-only file system, it now does not. I can make/remove dirs without issue. So, the file system check does require the array to be offline though, correct? I'll have to do that when users are not using it - it takes like 20+hours to test. 

It is worth pointing out that although it still works reiserfs is deprecated.     If you go through the process of migrating to XFS then one advantage will be that a file system check only takes a few minutes.

51 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It is worth pointing out that although it still works reiserfs is deprecated.     If you go through the process of migrating to XFS then one advantage will be that a file system check only takes a few minutes.

100% agreed. I will have to investigate how to do that. I think I'm out of ports so I'll have to figure out how to migrate data.