Unable to Boot

I just replaced my unRAID hardware to a Ryzen 7 build. The motherboard I went with is the ASrock X470DU because of the IPMI which I often used in my prior build. I can't seem to however get this board to boot up. I think it doesn't even start POST as the Dr Debug LCD never turns on. I am able to access the IPMI with no problems but trying to use the KVM it says no signal. Some sections also aren't able to display information because it says it needs to POST first.

I've tried all the usual stuff, cleared CMOS, unplug everything to just the CPU. Any thoughts on what I may try? Maybe o have a bad board but I feel like if I'm getting to the IPMI that I must be missing something. And other lights on the board light up fine.

Edited by LimeB
26 minutes ago, rachid596 said:

Hello, your cpu is installed correctly ? No pin bend ? Try to reinstall it. Try to boot with Only 1 RAM and no sata 

I'll try resetting the CPU again. Currently I only have 1 32 gig stick if RAM which I've tried various slots and not installed. And I've tired nothing besides the CPU installed which didn't make a difference. I would assume no matter what the LCD should display something, even if nothing is installed or is bad. Maybe I am incorrect?

43 minutes ago, LimeB said:

I'll try resetting the CPU again. Currently I only have 1 32 gig stick if RAM which I've tried various slots and not installed. And I've tired nothing besides the CPU installed which didn't make a difference. I would assume no matter what the LCD should display something, even if nothing is installed or is bad. Maybe I am incorrect?

Just reseated the CPU and looked okay. No change.

6 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

What gpu have you got plugged in? I looked it up and that board (ryzen 7) only boots with a discreet gpu. 

Where did you see that? It's my understanding that it does have a BMC VGA. I tried with and without a Radeon Pro WX 2100.

3 hours ago, LimeB said:

I would assume no matter what the LCD should display something, even if nothing is installed

Not that. Pls change memory stick first, i.e. non-ECC DDR4

But Dr Debug LCD never turns on may indicate it is board fault.

Edited by Benson
16 hours ago, LimeB said:

Hi,

Couple of ideas

If you have a new Ryzen 3xxx, is the BIOS up to date ? 

32GB Dimm is unusual, is this Unbuffered non ECC?

If you picked up RDIMM or LRDIMM it's not compatible with Ryzen, only Unbuffered Single or Dual Rank with or without ECC.

No progress yet. I did submit an exchange for a new board which will arrive on Monday.

Assuming the sticker for the BIOS version is correct, 3.1, which supports the 3000 series. But even with the RAM not installed, it should through an error via the LCD. Or at least that's always been my experience.

New board and even new CPU, same issue. I only this time tried booting with the CPU and memory installed and also without the memory installed. There must be something I am missing. Also if it matters, there are 2 green LEDs, one is solid and one with a slow flash. The slow flashing one is by the PCI slots.

I picked up a different stick of RAM and it almost working now. I say almost as now it is booting, POSTing, etc...but now oddly I can not select the USB drive to boot. Sometimes it will boot into unRAID off of the drive but I'm not actually changing anything and if I reboot, it won't reboot into unRAID. It seems more or less random when it will boot off of it.

Also for the earlier post, no GPU is installed so looks like the post on reddit was incorrect on needing a card installed.

But now this USB not being an option is driving me crazy.

I ended up being able to figure out the USB drive not being selectable. The BIOS listed something like 8 virtual devices (hdds, cd roms, floppys) which I couldn't figure out why but these were showing up as the selectable USB devices. After digging more into the IPMI settings I found a setting in there to disable them and now my USB drive shows up and I am booting so I look to be pretty set now.

Could you let me know what setting you found. I have a sister board to yours X470D4U-2T. My system has been working fine for over a month and after a reboot the other day now I can't get UnRaid to boot anymore. I managed to get it to boot once but the virtual devices were confusing me to and I can't seem to find the right combination of switches to make it work now.

Hi, I am having a similar problem, Mobo is booting, 2 green LEDs turn on but I have no image from the GPU.

There might be an incompatibility but shouldn't the Dr Debug LED show something? It never turns on.

Does anyone know if the Dr Debug LED always shows something or only when there is an error?

Edited by papnikol