telegraf/grafina/influxdb/unifi docker host/br0 issues

page3

Hi all,

I think I've hit a bit of a brick wall trying to get monitoring/graphing set-up and I think what I am trying to achieve may not be possible, at least not in the way I'm approaching it.

I am using:

• Grafana docker (to graph stuff)
  • InfluxDB docker (db to store data)
  • UniFi Poller docker (poll Unifi Controller and push data to InfluxDB)
  • Telegraf docker (poll UnRAID and send data to InfluxDB)
  • Apcupsd-influxdb-exporter docker (read APCUPSD UPS data and send to Influx DB)

Now, I have all but Apcupsd-influxdb-exporter working fine but seem to have hit a catch-22 situation.

Initially I configured everything as HOST (to save on loads of IP addresses being used unnecessarily), but the Unifi Poller failed as my UniFI Controller is running on br0 to give it a dedicated IP address. This is really important for UniFi management.

So, i had to move all the other dockers listed above to br0 in order for them to see each other. Not ideal, but it works. If I moved only UniFi poller to br0, it then couldn't see InfluxDB on host, so I had to move that to br0 and so on.

I now have Apcupsd-influxdb-exporter which if I set it as HOST can see the UPS data but not InfluxDB. If I set it to br0 it can see InfluxDB but not the host UPS data!

There must be a better way to do all this - I want my UniFi controller to remain on br0 and preferably everything else to be on HOST. This would mean the UniFi Poller docker would somehow have to communicate with a br0 docker (the UniFi controller).

Or any other suggestions? This seems rather complex just to get some stats in one place and chart them!

6 hours ago, trott said:

as I remember, telegraf itself has apcupsd input, you don't need another docker for it

I did see this, but assumed it wasn't implemented fully as I couldn't see any way to determine if it was passing data and if so in to what variable. I'll research more as this might be the answer - thanks.

I also found a plug-in for telegraf that calls a python script but unfortunately that didn't work as python is not included with the docker.

5 hours ago, Roxedus said:

What you hit is a security measure with macvlan prohibiting bridged container to talk with the host, its not really easy to circumvent. 

Agree. I've aware of the security measure (read lots about it on this forum) and why it is as it is. Still, it's a pain because I'm mixing types of dockers which is where I'm falling foul. 

On 2/10/2020 at 9:02 AM, tjb_altf4 said:

There's a new option in 6.8.2 that enables this, it's available in docker settings (Host access to custom networks).

Note docker service must be stopped to enable

This, along with re-enabling the built in telegraf apcupsd worked great. Thank you all.