Another newb building a server

Jeff in Indy

Hey everyone.  Not my first computer build, but it is my first time with UnRAID.  I am waiting on my tax refund, which is still a week away.  I think I've got an inexpensive build.  Here's my requirements:

- I'd like to keep the system around $500, though there is some wiggle room (not including HDD)

- It's primarily for Plex, mostly for in-house Rokus, but some downloading to iOS and external streaming (probably not more than 1 at a time);

- I will store files, maybe a VM or 2 (my son is fascinated with older games / Windows)

Here's what I'm thinking:

Case:   $120  Fractal Design 804  PcPartpicker

(More than I wanted to spend, but TEN 3.5 drives?)

MB:       $79 ASRock B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  PcPartPicker

(6 SATA, 4 RAM slots, 3 M.2 slots - may add one or 2 later for cache)

CPU:     $120 Intel Core i3-8100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor PcPartpicker (This was changed, the first one I picked had no iGPU)

(4 cores and Quick Sync)

Cooler:  $20 Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler PcPartpicker

Memory: $68 2 x G.Skill NT Series 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory PcPartpicker

Power:   $90 Thermaltake Toughpower GOLD 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply PcPartpicker (Changed - see the thread for the original)

So it comes in around $500.  It seems weird that the most expensive item is the case, but it is what it is.

Any thoughts?  Am I missing something?  What would you do different if it was you? (Except spend a lot more money)

I have a bunch of hard drives, external and internal.  I plan on buying 2 10TBs and  moving, clearing, shucking, and repurposing the old drives.

In case you're interested, here's the PcPartpicker list:  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mRpNx6

Edited by Jeff in Indy

Two things I notice, that CPU has no integrated iGPU so you would need a graphic card. Better then to get the i3-9100. Also if you buy the boxed version start with the cooler provided, as that should be sufficient enough for cooling ... it is in my case with the same CPU and case.

Might also be better if you can find a Gold or Platinum PSU as that more power efficient than Bronze. 

So that actually was three things 🙂

10 hours ago, Jeff in Indy said:

I also changed the power supply to a "Thermaltake Toughpower GOLD 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply" instead of the "Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply".  Same price.  Is Thermaltake a good brand?

Thermaltake PSU is ok.

Actually all the major brands are more or less similar to they all come down to cost, efficiency, wattage and physical size (and RGB!)

You can read reviews for PSU (only on the stuff that matters i.e. no RGB-ness assessment) on jonnyguru.

A few pointers on your build:

• The CPU comes with a cooler so there's no need to buy a 3rd party cooler just yet. Just run it with stock cooler and you may find it more than adequate i.e. save $20.
    • If you want a 3rd party cooler, I would recommend to throw in another 10 bucks and get the Cooler Master Hyper 212. It has a cult following as a budget cooler.
  • You can also search on ebay for used case to cut some cost but be mindful of missing screws.