Help streaming 4k and other questions

thesmackdown

Hi all,

Not sure this is the proper place to post this - but, last year I bought a 4k TV.  I was using a Vero 4k as my client side player.  I have since switched to Plex.  In both cases 4k content will not play without much buffering.  I am using ethernet and have Plex set to play in Original quality.

Since this is a problem on both the Vero and Plex clients I thought maybe it's server hardware that is causing the problem.  It's a pretty old build - ASRock Pro4/MVP with a Celeron G1620 @ 2.70, 4 gigs of memory, nine drives seven of which are running off the motherboard, the other two are plugged into a SAS9211-8I.

I am kicking around the idea of buying one of these, if nothing else to move the Plex server onto it natively as well as SAB, Sonarr, Radarr, etc:  Newer server

Any idea what is causing the problem?

Thanks!

Evan

I have been researching this myself as I would like to play the occasional 4K. Your situation definitely sounds like a Transcoding/hardware (maybe network too) issue. If the files you are watching are compressed, either (or both) video - audio, it will need transcoded to play (hardware). Odds are this is where the buffering is coming from. Plus, you need the backbone and hardware to 'carry' the data stream (network). Hopefully you are hard wiring all of this; wireless is not going to cut it.

Have a read of these two links as they have some good info and will help you create the right network/hardware setup. 

I'd enjoy reading about your final config once finished!

1st Link

2nd Link