Loss of performance if using motherboard sata instead of LSI 9211 ?

iomgui

I wanted to know if i should expect a loss of performance in case i would switch from a LSI 9211 8i in IT mode to the SATA ports of a motherboard, using 8 HDD, with a 8 SATA ports motherboard.

I cant test it easily for 2 reasons :

- my motherboard only has 4 ports

- i would need to buy special cables as actually i use a CS381 case and cables are SAS to mini SAS (for the test i would need reverse SATA to mini SAS)

Tha motherboard i intend to use is GIGABYTE C246M-WU4, though my question is more generic. SATA controllers on motherboards versus dedicated LSI cards. 

In case you Wonder why i dont want to stick to the SLI card : i will need 2 PCIe ports with at least 4x speed, withouth using the LSI 9211 card. And i dont want to change my case which leaves me to motherboards in micro ATX format and maximum 2 PCIe ports being at least 4x. The Choice of the gigabyte is considering its a server motherboard i expect it to perform well in every compartment. It would also allow me to use ECC memory if i d choose to upgrade it (along with an i3 for a cheap result).

Many thanks in advance

Edited by iomgui

Expect no loss if attach 8 HDDs on nowadays platform, because bandwidth from CPU to Chipset usually have 4 PCIe 3.x.

Suggest you check AsRock Rack C246M WS and similar with IPMI function, it is MATX, support ECC RAM and have 3 PCIe slot in 8x 8x 4x

Edited by Benson

Thanks a lot.

In my country that card is 80 to 100 more bucks than the Gigabyte one, and would also be short by one M2 PCIE port compared to the gigabyte (even though the second one would be for a futur hypothetic upgrade). But more importantly it wouldnt solve the 3 PCIe 4x problem as the layout wouldnt allow me to use the 4x one along with a graphic card taking the size of 2 slots ... Though i didnt precise that before ;)

I know Asrock has good reputation for server motherboards. I dont know about Gigabyte but layout, price and spécifications seems to lead me to choose Gigabyte...