Newbie, looking to put together an Unraid server for home

staunts

Hi all,

this might be complete overkill but I'm wanting to ensure that I protect as best I can our family photos, home videos and a collection of movies. All up only about 5TB.

Can anyone advise what would be a good budget build I should put together to achieve this ? The VM's is something I might play around with, but mostly I am looking to just protect my files from loss/corruption etc. FWIW,  I back up my photos and home vids to Amazon Glacier.

any advice would be gratefully accepted. Cheers.

Just as a NAS for 5TB of data, a good budget solution is a commodity RAID box and run it in RAID-1 (i.e. mirror) + 2x 8TB (or 10TB) HDD's. That way you have decent free space, simple setup and data protection.

If you want overkill then sure you can do Unraid.

Get a Fractal Design 304 + a micro ITX motherboard + some HDD + the usual PC parts. Best is to go on ebay and look for used part.

If you need some inspiration, search for user Hoopster on here and see the builds in his signature. Something similar to his backup server should be cost effective.