How to set VNC Viewer to work with UnRaid

hello, i'm new to unraid and this would be a great feature, i have realvnc viewer installed (vnc connect) plug in my unraids IP address : 5900 or 5901 respectfully and get an error "The connection was closed remotely" almost instantly

after some testing i have tried editing the XML for the VM

1. If I change the port to 6000 and it works great now.

2. If I change the to port 5900 it does not and gives the same message as noted above ("The connection was closed remotely")

3. If I change the port to 5901 it works but with a black screen (correct the black screen by selecting the "high" setting instead of letting VNC Viewer use "Auto" for Picture Quality in the options tab for the VNC Viewer

This is a bug i have found and after paying for 2 copies of Unraid Pro i hope someone sees this and corrects this since editing the XML in unraid is known to change your edits automatically

I would like to see a fix by Unraid support team

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When you go to the VM's tab, select adn edit the VM you want to change the VNC port, and select edit, make sure the VM is turned off.

In the next screen, in the top right corner is a slider, called XML view, slide it.
The page will change in a custom edit screen.

Look for the following;

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='5703' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>

You see that the port is set to -1, in other words "auto", this is repeated in the command after that, autoport=yes.

Changing these values, will change them.

eg.

<graphics type='vnc' port='5905' autoport='no' websocket='5703' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>

In the Case above VNC will listen to port 5905, nothing else.

Keep in mind that you have to do this every time you make a change in the "normal" edit screen.

Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1