3x Slower transfer speeds over 5GHz WiFi compared to Gigabit ethernet

Calpulz

Hi,

Having an issue that is driving me mad wondered if anyone can help or point me in the right direction.

Transfer speeds im getting:

- Unraid boot drive             < - >   cache pool (230MB/s - 340MB/s)

- Laptop gigabit ethernet   < - >   cache pool (110MB/s max write, 110MB/s max read)

- Laptop 5GHz WiFi            < - >   cache pool (37MB/s max write, 27MB/s max read)

Im running Unraid 6.7.2 with 2x 120GB SSD cache drives in RAID 0. The Unraid server is connected via gigabit ethernet.

I just cant figure out why its so much slower over wifi, im even in the same room as router.

Any ideas would be much appretiated.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, earthworm said:

Don't confuse GHz with Gbit.  The speeds you show look normal to me.

If you look at your network properties on the laptop you will see the "Link speed" showing the true speed of your WiFi connection.

Sorry maybe i wasn't that clear in post. Im not confusing GHz with gbit. I get slower speeds over wifi then ethernet. Laptop is connected via 5GHz wifi, which has theoretical max speed of 1300mbit/s. So why am i getting 3x slower transfer speeds over 5GHz wifi (1300mbit/s) then when my laptop is connected via gigabit ethernet (1000mbit/s)

hopefully that clears up what i meant

24 minutes ago, earthworm said:

Don't confuse GHz with Gbit.  The speeds you show look normal to me.

If you look at your network properties on the laptop you will see the "Link speed" showing the true speed of your WiFi connection.

19 minutes ago, Calpulz said:

Sorry maybe i wasn't that clear in post. Im not confusing GHz with gbit. I get slower speeds over wifi then ethernet. Laptop is connected via 5GHz wifi, which has theoretical max speed of 1300mbit/s. So why am i getting 3x slower transfer speeds over 5GHz wifi (1300mbit/s) then when my laptop is connected via gigabit ethernet (1000mbit/s)

hopefully that clears up what i meant

So i just looked at the link speed which you said about and its only 400mbps, so that would explain my slow transfer speeds. Guess i have to get a new faster router

5ghz doesn’t reach as far a 2.4ghz. It does better with line-of-site. A faster router won’t fix that. If you’re that concerned with WiFi performance you’re better off with multiple Ethernet connected AP’s for better coverage. You also have to remember that WiFi is a shared resource. If someone is streaming something at 1080p your other devices are going to see a performance hit. This isn’t going to be as big of a deal with MIMO but devices still have to share the airwaves.

Wifi is shared bandwidth also so if you have 5 devices on wifi and 1 is downloading a file or watching youtube when you copy your files, even if the theoretical speed is high you can cut that in 50% while the router is splitting up the bandwidth to acknowledge and service the other device. It gets worse the more of the 5 start doing stuff. 

3 hours ago, superloopy1 said:

I fail to see the reason for this question?

Probably a misplaced trust in the marketing hype that accompanies all the latest advances in WiFi.

Once you dig in to the actual mechanism of radio transmission of data, it's pretty obvious that point to point wires will always have the edge for speed and reliability. The convenience of wireless is the only advantage.

As technology advances, both wired and wireless will get faster. But wired will always be more secure, reliable, and faster. Wireless will always be more convenient. It is what it is.