How to use/configure LSI 9211-8i in IT mode?

Hi - I'm fairly new to UnRaid and NAS hardware so this might seem like a rudimentary question, but I'm having trouble connecting drives to UnRaid via a HBA controllers. I'm using a DS380 case with a SAS/SATA backplane (which theoretically shouldn't matter?)

I purchased a LSI 9211-8i already flashed to IT mode, and I was able verify it's indeed in IT mode via the LSI configuration utility, as shown in picture attached: 

However, whether it's through BIO or UnRaid, I wasn't able to detect the hard drives connected to it at all. I've always tried switching between SAS/SATA connectors on the back plane, or connecting directly to HDD but to no prevail. Am I missing something? A setting/step/configuration? Am I supposed to use the SAS or SATA connectors on the back-plane? 

Apologies for what might be basic questions, thanks everyone for the help! 

Kevin

IMG_20200211_232437.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 2/11/2020 at 11:27 PM, JustKev85 said:

Hi - I'm fairly new to UnRaid and NAS hardware so this might seem like a rudimentary question, but I'm having trouble connecting drives to UnRaid via a HBA controllers. I'm using a DS380 case with a SAS/SATA backplane (which theoretically shouldn't matter?)

I purchased a LSI 9211-8i already flashed to IT mode, and I was able verify it's indeed in IT mode via the LSI configuration utility, as shown in picture attached: 

However, whether it's through BIO or UnRaid, I wasn't able to detect the hard drives connected to it at all. I've always tried switching between SAS/SATA connectors on the back plane, or connecting directly to HDD but to no prevail. Am I missing something? A setting/step/configuration? Am I supposed to use the SAS or SATA connectors on the back-plane? 

Apologies for what might be basic questions, thanks everyone for the help! 

Kevin

IMG_20200211_232437.jpg

Hi Kevin,

I just bought this card https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0085FT2JC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When Unraid boots it shows the LSI Card and lets me go to the Avango Utility.  I get the same screens you do.

Using these cables https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B012BPLYJC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Won't pick the drives up, doesn't show in Unraid system devices. What did you do to get yours to work? This is the second card I bought. Getting a little frustrated...LOL. First card that actually showed on boot though.

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING

Processor:AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core @ 4 GHz

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Randy

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2020 at 4:57 PM, Badboy said:

Hi Kevin,

I just bought this card https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0085FT2JC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When Unraid boots it shows the LSI Card and lets me go to the Avango Utility.  I get the same screens you do.

Using these cables https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B012BPLYJC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Won't pick the drives up, doesn't show in Unraid system devices. What did you do to get yours to work? This is the second card I bought. Getting a little frustrated...LOL. First card that actually showed on boot though.

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING

Processor:AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core @ 4 GHz

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Randy

Did you have to flash the card yourself after buying on amazon?