(SOLVED) Will cron jobs stay after reboot?

gberg

I adden a daily cron job to copy a folder from a UNRAID share to my backup NAS, and it works fine and I can even see it in the Dynamix Schedules plugin.

But what happens after a reboot, will the cron job still be there, cause the linux systen is run from RAM, right? 

Edited by gberg
1 minute ago, gberg said:

I adden a daily cron job to copy a folder from a UNRAID share to my backup NAS, and it works fine and I can even see it in the Dynamix Schedules plugin.

But what happens after a reboot, will the cron job still be there, cause the linux systen is run from RAM, right? 

If you manually added it then it will NOT survive a reboot.    If you add it via the User Scripts plugin then it WILL survive a reboot.

28 minutes ago, gberg said:

Yeah, I installed it, and I noted it placed a new cron job in the /etc/cron.daily folder, and that will be placed there on every reboot I presume?

The plugin handles re-installing everything after a reboot for all the scripts it is handling.  Which cron folder it ends up in depends on the scheduling option you select in User Scripts, but the nice thing is that you do not need to worry about that level of detail if using the plugin.

As has already been said, the user scripts plugin is the easiest method, but here is a manual alternative for those who don't like to take the easy way.

Export desired crontab settings to a file on your flash stick:

crontab -l > /boot/config/cron.txt

Add the following line to your go script at /boot/config/go 

crontab /boot/config/cron.txt