Plex - Huge disks reads while ‘idle’

I posted this over at the Plex forums but I'm fairly new to both Unraid and Plex, so I'm not sure where I'll find better technical support.

Unraid Version#: 6.8.2

Plex Server Version#: 1.18.6.2368
Docker: plexinc/pms-docker

I’m trying to figure out why I have such huge disk reads ~180MB/s for several hours at a time. See image below for the large orange rectangle.

ab267e24ffc4f406f82fd2e107af1af590c2afb7

Here are some of my observations.

• I’m 99% sure it’s Plex/Docker related because that dip in the right side of the disk usage and processor usage (~16h30) was when I ‘paused’ the docker.
  • When I restart the docker, it starts to behave normally again.
  • I’m pretty sure that it’s not related to scheduled tasks as my setting are fairly minimal AND only suppose to occur between 02h00 and 05h00.
  • It’s not a parity check, I haven’t even set up my parity drive yet.
  • No one is using it at that time (no one is home), and I’ve checked with current activity through plex as well as active streams through Unraid.
  • Could this have something to do with the amount of RAM cached at that time? The time frame for when it reaches it’s max appears to be the same.

Please help. I would really like to avoid undue wear on my HDDs and heat from the extra CPU usage. TIA!

• 3 years later...

I do have the same problem, have you already found a solution?

Plex activity shows nothing, as well as active streams plugin. But I do have huge reads all the time. Also Plex logs dont show anything.

Wenn opening the commandshell and using "top" it says that ah process called "Plex Media Scan" is using high CPU. When I do stop the Plex Docker the Reads on my Disk disappear. But as said: Plex is not doing ah media scan, and plex does not show any activity.