How to change default Graphic Card for Terminal ?

Hello,

My X399 motherboard does not have an option to select PCIE slot to for primary output, it has to use PCIE_1 only.

However due to PCIE layout on my board PCIE_1 and PCIE_3 are the only places where i can put 2 slot Card. Those two I want to use for my 2 VMs where i put 2 high end Video Cards.

I can put a "small" extra video card in slot 4 to get console for Unraid video output, but it has to be changed after unraid boots up to "free" PCIE_1 slot not to be used by Unraid.

How do i do it ?

Can the PCIE_1  card be "unbinded" and passed to VM after system boots up ?

I appreciate your instructions.

Do you need a video card for unraid?  I too have a X399 motherboard and utilize slot 1 for a 2080TI (it has a waterblock so only occupies two slots instead of 3) that is passed through to a VM.  I just put the device id in the kernel line for VFIO so the device is stubbed as soon as the kernel loads--no need to blacklist etc.  For the first slot I do however have to provide a bios image for the card, the ones in other slots do not require it.

Sean

I'm testing it now with GF 710 in the slot 1 and other card in slot 3.

One i boot the server it comes with all booting information and login prompth to Unraid.

Then i go to WebUI and once I define my GF710 for VM i get only dark screen and no output at all 😞 

Even when i dumped bios according to youtube from SpaceInvaders...

What does it mean -->  just put the device id in the kernel line for VFIO so the device is stubbed ?

Can i tell Unraid to use card in other slot to use it for terminal ? I have a spare card I can use for this reason and direct access to shutdown/edit is sometimes necessary.

Edited by macmus
18 hours ago, macmus said:

My X399 motherboard does not have an option to select PCIE slot to for primary output, it has to use PCIE_1 only.

However due to PCIE layout on my board PCIE_1 and PCIE_3 are the only places where i can put 2 slot Card. Those two I want to use for my 2 VMs where i put 2 high end Video Cards.

I can put a "small" extra video card in slot 4 to get console for Unraid video output, but it has to be changed after unraid boots up to "free" PCIE_1 slot not to be used by Unraid.

How do i do it ?

Can the PCIE_1  card be "unbinded" and passed to VM after system boots up ?

Deciding which GPU is used to boot is controlled by the motherboard BIOS. There's nothing you can do with yoru plan except for getting a new motherboard.

That's the reason why I usually recommend Gigabyte motherboards for new users (to no avail, people just prefer Asus / Asrock) because its BIOS allows you to pick which slot to boot with.

Anyway with your case, you really have no choice but to go through all the hoops to get the primary GPU passed through. Watch Spaceinverder One videos very carefully. Some of your subsequent questions suggest you have skimmed through some of the vids.

I was  trying to use test it on my GF card but it did not work out.. do I have to do anything special for this GPU in primary slot ?

On my other Asus board for Intel i has an option to select the GPU boot, it seems to be he bios/chipset related.

Edited by macmus