How to store dockers on an SSD

mhweb

Just now, Hoopster said:

@mhweb ^^^This and then make sure that your 'appdata' share is at /mnt/cache/appdata and that it is a 'cache only' or 'cache prefer' share based on your preference and use case.  Mine is cache only as it is 500GB and I am not using it for actual write caching.

Using it the way you're describing will let the drives in the array go to sleep?

2 minutes ago, mhweb said:

Using it the way you're describing will let the drives in the array go to sleep?

Yes.  All the HDDs go to sleep after an hour of inactivity on my server. 

The Docker containers being stored on the SSD in a cache only share means that they can keep doing their thing and the HDDs remain asleep unless they are needed. 

I also have my VMs as well as the download location for DelugeVPN and output locations for HandBrake and MakeMKV on an unassigned devices SSD.  I can do everything with these dockers on SSDs while the HDDs happily sleep until I am ready to move content to them or access content from them.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mhweb said:

I noticed that I already have the appdata as cache prefer, but I added the ssd after I installed the docker containers. 

How do I move the contents to the ssd?

Thanks,

Disable the docker service in settings, so the docker tab is gone from the GUI, then run mover. Enable docker after mover is done.

• Like 1