Is ECC working on X570 / unRAID

Morning chaps

When building an unRAID server i always spend a bit more to go for ECC RAM, given the amount of silent memory corruption that can occur.  My question is that i have heard so many conflicting reports about ECC not actually working, be that on X570 or X470 platforms.  How can i test that it is working and repairing errors that it finds?   

1 hour ago, sdamaged said:

My question is that i have heard so many conflicting reports about ECC not actually working, be that on X570 or X470 platforms.  How can i test that it is working and repairing errors that it finds? 

That's one of the problems with half supported ECC, part of ECC support is reporting if errors are occurring, and AFAIK there's no sure way to known if it's actually working on those platforms.

4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Need to find someone with ECC DIMM(s) with a bad spot that consistently shows up on an intel board but is still good enough to POST and function. Preferably a bunch of samples of varying grades of failure.

If the bios allows you to adjust the memory parameters, which I assume it should, you could reduced voltage, CAS or increase frequency to push it into a partial failure. It might take a few attempts to find a edge case but should may be possible. E.g. most fast memory needs more voltage, you need to find the point where it's only intermittantly working and see how the system reacts.