NIC recomendations for 6.8.2

cipher

I upgraded to 6.8.2 and saw on the change log that some Intel NIC's are no longer supported, my NIC was in the same series and didn't work.  I have been using the intel Pro/1000's for years, stable and reliable.  I tried my onboard Realtek NIC with no success.

What would be a good replacement that is current so I hopefully don't have this issue again?

I don't need 10G as I am running an older Cisco 2960-X and don't see a reason to upgrade for my home network.  Server is an E3-1230 V2 with 32GB memory and LSI-9211-8 with 6 4TB drives and an ssd cache drive.  It's getting a bit long in the tooth but it serves it's purpose.

Edited by cipher
3 minutes ago, cipher said:

I upgraded to 6.8.2 and saw on the change log that some Intel NIC's are no longer supported

It's not that certain Intel NICs are not supported, they should still all work fine with unRAID.  The Intel NIC driver was changed.  Apparently the igb NIC driver in previous versions of unRAID was causing problems on certain hardware under certain conditions.  Limetech included the OOT (out of tree) Intel igb driver in the latest release and that seems to have solved the issue.  Intel NICs are fine with unRAID.

From the release notes:

version 4.19.98 (CVE-2019-14615)
CONFIG_ENIC: Cisco VIC Ethernet NIC Support
removed: CONFIG_IGB: Intel(R) 82575/82576 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet support
removed: CONFIG_IGBVF: Intel(R) 82576 Virtual Function Ethernet support
kernel-firmware: version 20200122_1eb2408
oot: Intel igb: version 5.3.5.42
oot: wireguard: version 0.0.20200121

5 minutes ago, cipher said:

I'll try the upgrade again, after the upgrade I was unable to obtain an IP address.  Link would drop partway through the boot.  Reverting to 6.8.0 and I was able to get networking working again, after correcting some issues from the downgrade.

If you can track those issues back to the specific NIC driver, let Limetech know with a bug report.  That's what resulted in the NIC driver change in the first place.

Sometimes, not getting an IP address can have other causes.  Do you have bonded NICs?  A problem was recently identified that could result in not obtaining an IP address because of timing issues between NIC bonding and DHCP.

I do have a second NIC and was looking at bonding them, have not had the free time to try after upgrading my switch to the cisco (was a free upgrade), I couldn't get it working with my old TP-Link switch.

I re-upgraded with no hicups, working correctly now.  Not sure what happened.

Thank you for the replies.