Seeing less than half RAM for /tmp and ramdisk?

I have 128GB of RAM in my system (AMD EPYC) and Unraid clearly reads all 128GB but yet only shows half that is available in /tmp or a /ramdisk I've created.  I was aware of /dev/shm only allocating half ram but I was under the impression that /tmp would be able to see and use all available ram, and same for a user created ramdisk.  Am I missing something?

image.png.24e6ade8a22104d698fe7eb066b522bc.png

EDIT:  It looks like Unraid is caching more than half my RAM but not making that RAM available?

image.png.61877adfea18cef754d9a6f08ab539a7.png

Edited by IamSpartacus
7 hours ago, Squid said:

/tmp is mounted to use 50% of the memory available maximum.

Cached memory should be always as much as possible.  Cache is always returned to the system when a process needs it, and unused RAM is wasted RAM.  https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

So if I start writing more than 63GB to my ramdisk more ram ram should be allocated on the fly to accommodate?

I ask because I'm not seeing that happen.  I use my ramdisk for incomplete usenet downloads and when that 63GB is filled I cant write anymore.  Meanwhile I have another 40+GB of free RAM apparently doing nothing.

2 minutes ago, IamSpartacus said:

So if I start writing more than 63GB to my ramdisk more ram ram should be allocated on the fly to accommodate?

I ask because I'm not seeing that happen.  I use my ramdisk for incomplete usenet downloads and when that 63GB is filled I cant write anymore.  Meanwhile I have another 40+GB of free RAM apparently doing nothing.

No. Your ramdisk is not resized on the fly. Memory is used as I/O buffer and released to other processes as needed, but this has nothing to do with your ramdisk allocation.

36 minutes ago, Squid said:

If the memory is required, then another process can use it.

IE: On a 16Gig system, you will see that rootfs (where /tmp is) is sized at ~ 7.8G.  But you can run (quite easily) 3 VMs at 4Gig a piece without running out of memory.  The memory used (ie: dashboard) will reflect this.

I'll have to test it again as I could have sworn /tmp was acting the same as my ramdisk.  And I switched to using a ramdisk because I like having easy access to it via an SMB share for insight as I use it for a bunch of services (plex and Emby transcoding, downloads, etc.).

Edited by IamSpartacus