Virtual 10G between internal unraid networks

So I recently set up a steam cache.  It runs OK actually gives me a more consistent download speed.  However, for fun I thought I'd try to see how fast it went on my gaming VM (which actually now says it's connected at 100G - I guess that's an updated driver thing).  Anyway, it only performs the same as a 1G connection (e.g. 2-80MB/s), for a 10G it should be in the 100's for a local to local.

Anyway, I read somewhere on here just now, that the internal virtual networks don't function between differing bridges, that they have to be on the same bridge.  Can anyone confirm if that is correct?  Also, if you know why technically, I'd be interested to hear it.

And obviously, I'd be interested in if there's any work arounds.  My steamcache is on a custom bridge so that it can have a fixed IP, so the only other option would be to see if I could assign it through one of my other NIC's somehow I suppose.  Haven't quite figured it out yet.

It would be great to put on a different NIC as while running it, it obviously get's close to saturating the single 1G connection.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks.

It's on an enterprise capacity 8TB by Seagate HDD.  Which should be able to go much faster than that I would have thought.  The VM is on an enterprise SSD.  Are you saying there's not a limitation between the networks and I should look more to optimising storage?  I could certainly do some tests, but don't want to go to all that hassle if there's little benefit.  I don't really need this to be SSD speed, but would be good to be better than the average of 40 it seems to get.

Well modern HDDs will get no where near 10gb speeds. Enterprise or not, rotational storage just ain't fast enough.

Your SSDs may not be fast enough either. The only way you can get close to 10gbps throughput with SSDs is if you have a large enough quantity of them in the cache pool or if they are PCIe/NVMe. SATA based SSDs tend to cap out around 550 MB/s read/write speed though that can vary based on device.

Another issue is that depending on the games, the way they load may be lots of small files as opposed to larger files. Seek times and processing within the client (your VM) can also weigh into this.

Lastly, there is a bit of overhead going through the shares which you could work around, but honestly don't think it'd be worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, jonp said:

Well modern HDDs will get no where near 10gb speeds. Enterprise or not, rotational storage just ain't fast enough.

Thanks, I'm not trying to get 10Gb speeds, in the test, I was trying to see more than 1G speeds, even for a little bit.  Because that failed I got to wonder about why internal networking speeds don't seem to match (even outside of steamcache) and seem more readily under 1G speeds, hence this post.

The thing with steam downloads is they can be highly variable, sometimes it's quite fast, other times its slow.  Even with steamcache as it is now, it's still much faster than my 1G internet downloads from steam (connection is real world 900/500).  I do get 80MB/s for large chunks of work (it's variable though - probably as you say due to small files and even as I've read uncompressing happening on the client) but I've only managed 80 once direct over the internet.

Anyway, I'd still like to know if it's possible to do internal 10G speeds between bridged networks etc in unraid.  A post elsewhere on here stated that it was not currently possible and that to get that speed, you needed to have all devices on the same default bridge network.  I'd like to understand that as it would help with the architecture of may setup.

Thanks.