NFS share isssues

omartian

Hi guys

Using unraid as file storage for my movie collection. I use an Nvidia shield 2019 pro for Kodi on my TV and also use an oppo 203 for Dolby vision content. 

I've used smb and it works pretty well but every movie locks up randomly during it's runtime. I've read that nfs is more light-weight and faster so wanted to give it a try. 

I set up my shares to allow nfs access. Export is selected and shares are set to private. 

I'm able to access nfs through the oppo player but have noticed that new files added to the share aren't being refreshed and there is a 5 file discrepancy between viewing files via nfs vs smb. 

Also, I'm trying to add nfs shares to Kodi on my shield. When I go to add the video source, I can browse and find my unraid server. When I click on my server, I can see the shares that I've allowed nfs access, but it won't allow me to add individual shares. 

I suspect that it's due to the fact that my nfs shares are set to private. There's not a spot to enter my user/pass.

Should I change NFS share setrings from private to secure?  Is there a rule I need to add in unraid that'll allow access to my shares via nfs on my shield?  How about to keep my shares refreshed with newer files on my oppo?

There are only a few folks who are using NFS who regularly provide support on it.  You will have to be patient until one of them comes across your thread.

You may want to google to find out what the configuration string has to be on the client end of the connection.  Begin with something like  unraid mount nfs share  (simple search strings are better with Google) and see if you can find something.  You might also have a good look at some general NFS manuals and tutorials.  (Remember that Samba has been greatly improved over the years while NFS has been largely pushed to the sidelines.   But, if you have old hardware which is running old software, NFS may well be the best solution.) 

• 3 months later...

Have you solved this problem? I have been having similar issues accessing my shared folders from my Oppo203 in nfs. I have about 1400 shared folders all of which are nobody/users. In smb all of them show up, but in nfs only about 73 shows up. Sometimes this number increases but never to the full 1400 folders.

I'm running the latest unraid stable version and I'm pretty sure this started happening from about 2-3 release updates ago. Before that I had no trouble seeing all my shared folders via nfs..

any suggestions on how to debug this?

1 hour ago, kolla said:

Have you solved this problem? I have been having similar issues accessing my shared folders from my Oppo203 in nfs. I have about 1400 shared folders all of which are nobody/users. In smb all of them show up, but in nfs only about 73 shows up. Sometimes this number increases but never to the full 1400 folders.

I'm running the latest unraid stable version and I'm pretty sure this started happening from about 2-3 release updates ago. Before that I had no trouble seeing all my shared folders via nfs..

any suggestions on how to debug this?

Never sorted it out. Just started using smb instead. It bums me out bc I'd prefer nfs.  Let me know if you sort it out. 

• 1 year later...

Same problem here with NFS. The oppo 203 only shows part of a directory (approx 200 entries out of 800). Over SMB everything is fine. NFS had been working on previous unraid versions - but i do not know exactly when it stopped showing all files.

I think i found a solution by setting global-share-settings->tunable(enable hard links) to no. The oppo now seems to display all entries again. I will monitor this to see if this is just luck or if its really fixed.

Edited by Videodr0me
  • Like 3
  • 2 years later...
On 8/11/2021 at 5:25 AM, Videodr0me said:

Same problem here with NFS. The oppo 203 only shows part of a directory (approx 200 entries out of 800). Over SMB everything is fine. NFS had been working on previous unraid versions - but i do not know exactly when it stopped showing all files.

I think i found a solution by setting global-share-settings->tunable(enable hard links) to no. The oppo now seems to display all entries again. I will monitor this to see if this is just luck or if its really fixed.

I realize that this is an old comment at this point but I cannot thank you enough for sharing this setting! Prior to changing that setting I wasn't getting any folder or files populating on the Oppo in the NFS share.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 5:25 AM, Videodr0me said:

Wow! I was having this same issue for years and this solved it completely!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2023 at 4:35 AM, kolla said:

Wow! I was having this same issue for years and this solved it completely!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. 

I completely forgot to follow up on my post. Two Years later, i can confirm that it did fix the issue completely for me. So setting:

global-share-settings->tunable(enable hard links) to no

solves the issue and the oppo now displays all entries.