[Support] knex666 - OpenProject

Trying to open the WebUI failing.  Chrome browser message: "This site can’t be reached"

Installed container with default setting via community apps.   Only container on/using br0.  The networking doesn't make any sense to me:

455420075_ScreenShot2022-08-18at9_36_31pm.png.62f24a354dfb558286651df9a1fb5671.png

If leave network at br0, and 'Fixed IP addres (optional)' blank, picks an  IP already in use.   When try to open the WebUI I get the other service.    Edit setting to a unique IP, restart container, and when try to open container, the site can't be reached error form chrome.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue as @michaelborck, the docker doesn't work out of the box and am having all sorts of issues accessing the web UI 

Using br0 networking there are two port mappings added by default - 80, 5432

However the default WebUI link is set to 8080?

Attempting to access the server via http://[ip]:8080 redirects to https://[ip]:8080 and fails -> "ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR"

HTTP (80) and HTTPS(443) both just fail -> "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED"

Even with HTTPS/HSTS supposedly disabled with additional variables added to the docker edit screen I'm still getting redirected to HTTPS and receiving the "ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR".

OPENPROJECT_HTTPS = false

OPENPROJECT_HSTS = false

The logs show:

2022-09-05 15:14:12 +1000 HTTP parse error, malformed request: #<Puma::HttpParserError: Invalid HTTP format, parsing fails. Are you trying to open an SSL connection to a non-SSL Puma?>

My Questions:

1. How do I access the Web GUI, ideally via HTTPS

2. What ports do I actually have to have exposed to the container? 80, 5432, 8080

I also noticed in the logs that "Using unprefixed environment variables is deprecated", will that be fixed in an update to the docker container?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 1:16 AM, purplewalrus said:

I'm having the same issue as @michaelborck, the docker doesn't work out of the box and am having all sorts of issues accessing the web UI 

Using br0 networking there are two port mappings added by default - 80, 5432

However the default WebUI link is set to 8080?

Attempting to access the server via http://[ip]:8080 redirects to https://[ip]:8080 and fails -> "ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR"

HTTP (80) and HTTPS(443) both just fail -> "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED"

Even with HTTPS/HSTS supposedly disabled with additional variables added to the docker edit screen I'm still getting redirected to HTTPS and receiving the "ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR".

OPENPROJECT_HTTPS = false

OPENPROJECT_HSTS = false

The logs show:

My Questions:

1. How do I access the Web GUI, ideally via HTTPS

2. What ports do I actually have to have exposed to the container? 80, 5432, 8080

I also noticed in the logs that "Using unprefixed environment variables is deprecated", will that be fixed in an update to the docker container?

@purplewalrus

I solved my problem, which I think was the same as your problem. When installing the docker, I set

Network Type: Bridge

Then I added the following by Path/Port/Variable

Port

-Config Type: Port

-Name: WebUI

-Container Port: 8080

-Default Value: 8080

-Connection Type: TCP

Variable

-Config Type: Variable

-Name: OPENPROJECT_HTTPS

-Key: OPENPROJECT_HTTPS

-Value: False

-Default: False

I think the key for not getting the SSL error was the OPENPROJECT_HTTPS variable. To get it to work otherwise, with https, I think requires setting up Swag/nginx which I was able to do for Nextcloud but is beyond my paygrade for this (didn't have time to figure out). More info is here

https://www.openproject.org/docs/installation-and-operations/installation/docker/

Hope that solves your problem.

• Like 2
On 9/13/2022 at 11:15 PM, barrysagittarius said:

@purplewalrus

I solved my problem, which I think was the same as your problem. When installing the docker, I set

Network Type: Bridge

Then I added the following by Path/Port/Variable

Port

Variable

I think the key for not getting the SSL error was the OPENPROJECT_HTTPS variable. To get it to work otherwise, with https, I think requires setting up Swag/nginx which I was able to do for Nextcloud but is beyond my paygrade for this (didn't have time to figure out). More info is here

https://www.openproject.org/docs/installation-and-operations/installation/docker/

Hope that solves your problem.

Thanks Barry, I had all of this setup already and it wasn't working but seems to have worked doing it as part of the initial setup, got a warning about having HTTPS disabled after I setup nginx though so disabled that and I'm up and running with HTTPS now as well.

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 5:34 PM, purplewalrus said:

Thanks Barry, I had all of this setup already and it wasn't working but seems to have worked doing it as part of the initial setup, got a warning about having HTTPS disabled after I setup nginx though so disabled that and I'm up and running with HTTPS now as well.

Trying to install this container and getting the same errors, I think: "SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length."

Tried using the default container variables - same result.

Tried changing network type to bridge and adding the two variables (OPENPROJECT_HTTPS & OPENPROJECT_HSTS, both set to false) and the WebUI port per @barrysagittarius post

This is on my server network (i.e. not behind my reverse proxy) - Nginx shouldn't be part of the problem (yet).

Any other suggestions for what to try to get this working?

Edit: OK, not sure why, but moving this back to br0 allowed me to connect via the IP.

Now it becomes an Nginx problem. :) The Nginx configuration shown above does not work for me, I get "bad gateway" when trying to connect through my Cloudlfare/reverse proxy...

Edited by DRW315
Updated status of my issue
  • 1 month later...

I keep getting this error:

2023-02-05 11:34:25 +0100 HTTP parse error, malformed request: #<Puma::HttpParserError: Invalid HTTP format, parsing fails. Are you trying to open an SSL connection to a non-SSL Puma?>

I did what barrysagittarius suggested:

Port

Variable

I'm trying to access locally, so no reverse proxy is involved.
Any ideas of how to make it work?

9 hours ago, Nanobug said:

I keep getting this error:

I did what barrysagittarius suggested:

I'm trying to access locally, so no reverse proxy is involved.
Any ideas of how to make it work?

Hey Nano, 

Those settings are what finally worked for me but only as part of an initial install of the docker, no idea why.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone gotten this to work?  There's not much by way of instruction regarding the custom network changes that need to happen and the only result I'm getting is a webui with https, which fails.

I simply installed it from the apps and it failed.  Then I tried the port and variables suggested here, but the result is an https error in the logs.

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, knex666 said:

na its not and you can contribute if you want. Youll need a reverse in order to get it run. Not everything is a one click install on unraid

cheers

At a minimum, I think this needs to have the following variables added to the template:

OPENPROJECT_SECRET_KEY_BASE=secret

OPENPROJECT_HOST__NAME=localhost:8080

OPENPROJECT_HTTPS=false

Once you know the IP of the container you can then reset the host name variable and configure your reverse proxy. Then you can change the HTTPS to True.

This is all in accordance with the very basic docker compose recommendations from the OpenProject website.

Sure, not everything is "one click install" but the install template could be improved. At the least, these variables should be added to the template because they are needed.

Additionally, the WebUI should be changed to http://[IP]:[PORT:80] and a WebUI PORT variable with HOST defaulting to 8080 and CONTAINER to 80.

cheers

Edited by The_Holocron
additions
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

This OpenProject template is no longer working out of the box and using an outdated image of the application, a new template for OpenProject using the latest supported stable release is now available in community applications with a much simpler setup and one-click installation.

Edited by ImSkully
21 hours ago, ImSkully said:

This OpenProject template is no longer working out of the box and using an outdated image of the application, a new template for OpenProject using the latest supported stable release is now available in community applications with a much simpler setup and one-click installation.

Hey @ImSkully 

thats a kind of behaviour I absoloutly dont like and understand. 
This Template works and since OpenProject does not support "latest" versioning everyone is aware that you have to manually update the major version. Nice that you build your own template using excatly the same container...
you could although contribute to that project insted of claiming that it is not working and it is "outdated"

Cheers

2 hours ago, knex666 said:

Hey @ImSkully 

thats a kind of behaviour I absoloutly dont like and understand. 
This Template works and since OpenProject does not support "latest" versioning everyone is aware that you have to manually update the major version. Nice that you build your own template using excatly the same container...
you could although contribute to that project insted of claiming that it is not working and it is "outdated"

Cheers

As denoted by the many comments on this thread, the template is not functional out of the box and lacks clear instructions on how to set it up to get running. Your template is very clearly missing the essential variables which has been pointed out already by others (@The_Holocron outlined it very clearly) and you stating we can contribute to your template clearly denotes your reliance on the community rather than maintaining it yourself, which is why I made an improved template with all of the essential variables and clear setup instructions so users can have the container up and running within minutes instead of having to consult this support thread, which on its own provides little to no help to users as displayed by the number of comments from many users having difficulty getting this template to work for over a year which you have seemingly ignored, you only finally commented when the quality of your template was brought into question.

If you no longer want to/can't maintain your template that's fine, but don't expect others to make PRs for your templates in order to bring them up to a functional state.

On 8/11/2023 at 7:45 PM, knex666 said:

na its not and you can contribute if you want. Youll need a reverse in order to get it run. Not everything is a one click install on unraid

Your response here is also incorrect, OpenProject can be run locally without a reverse proxy (and this should be the default that the template tailors to since the majority of users are looking for a local setup). It also can in fact be a one-click install, as is the case with my template.

2 hours ago, knex666 said:

Nice that you build your own template using excatly the same container...

You only just updated your template minutes before commenting to the latest container image. Previously you were using community:12 which is not the latest stable tag (as outlined in the dockerhub overview), my template uses community:13 and I plan to actively maintain this for all future stable releases.

My goal isn't to hijack your template, but rather to provide an alternative working template with LTS for the benefit of the community. I don't want to burden your support topic with further comments on this so you are welcome to forum PM me to discuss this further if you wish 🤞 Thanks.

Edited by ImSkully
  • Like 2