unexpectedly high idle power usage?

cbc02009

So I have two systems: a main rig that runs windows (Parts list here) and a home server (Parts list here). My server has an R7 3700x and a 1650 (non-super, it was a dumb buy), and it idles ~140W measured from the wall. With the GPU removed, it idles at about 100W. I'm not using the GPU for anything currently (I intend to pass it through to a windows VM to use the server during LAN parties) and there are no drivers installed within unraid for it. (Maybe that's the issue?)

The main rig has a 2080 ti and an r9 3950x, and yet it idles at ~80W measured from the wall, which is significantly lower than the server, even with significantly better hardware.

I guess I have nothing to base this off of, but it really seems like the power draw from the server is unexpectedly high, especially a ~35W idle power draw from a 1650 . Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Is there anything I can do to lower the power draw?

According to Netdata, background processor use when nothing is being accessed and no VMs are on is ~0.4%, so it's not background tasks causing the issue.

Installing the NVIDIA version of unraid dropped the power usage down to 120 watts, so I'm thinking this may be driver related after all. I believe I heard that unraid 6.9 is going to use the linux 5 kernel, right? I think that includes better support for Ryzen 3000, so maybe that will help reduce the power consumption of the server.

Edited by cbc02009