Unmountable Disk Present (Emulated) Help

bmilcs

14 minutes ago, bmilcs said:

My only option is to remount it, format as XFS and rebuild it seems.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, if you format it all the data will be gone, and the rebuild will be an empty disk. Is that what you want?

Unmountable means file system corruption, not typically a disk failure. Rebuilding an unmountable disk will result in the same unmountable corrupt content.

Tools, diagnostics, attach the zip file to your next post.

3XzCAsL.png

I received this error this afternoon and am not sure what my next steps are.

"Unmountable: No File System" for a drive that was roughly 80% full previously.

When I hover over the red X, it says my drive is being emulated (from parity I'm guessing?).

RGC8bZV.png

What is my best course of action? Is my drive dying?

Unraid is giving me the option to Format Disk 4

hqS5dDW.pngPMOwWW3.png

unraid-diagnostics-20200217-1643.zip

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, if you format it all the data will be gone, and the rebuild will be an empty disk. Is that what you want?

Unmountable means file system corruption, not typically a disk failure. Rebuilding an unmountable disk will result in the same unmountable corrupt content.

Tools, diagnostics, attach the zip file to your next post.

Apologies for the lack of details. I recreated the post for you here. 

I assume that's what you meant. Sorry if you meant reply.

Edited by bmilcs

DO NOT FORMAT!!!!

The disk is disabled, and the emulated disk is unmountable, so there will have to be both filesystem repair and rebuild.

Try repairing the emulated filesystem first then if it is mountable you can rebuild. There was a video about filesystem repair on that other thread you replied on.

Be sure to capture the output during filesystem repair so you can post it for further advice.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

DO NOT FORMAT!!!!

The disk is disabled, and the emulated disk is unmountable, so there will have to be both filesystem repair and rebuild.

Try repairing the emulated filesystem first then if it is mountable you can rebuild. There was a video about filesystem repair on that other thread you replied on.

Be sure to capture the output during filesystem repair so you can post it for further advice.

Thank you for the guidance. 

Are there any scripts that help with umounting user shares that get stuck? This occurs frequently if I simply want to take down the array.

" Array Stopping•Retry unmounting user share(s)..."

Edited by bmilcs
5 minutes ago, trurl said:

I have merged your threads. Please don't create multiple threads for the same problem.

Apologies. I thought that's what was requested of me: "Tools, diagnostics, attach the zip file to your next post."

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

Go to Settings - Disk Settings and disable autostart. Then when you reboot it won't start anything and you should be in a position where you can proceed with filesystem repair.

I ended up doing just that. Thank you. Are the results of the xfs repair sent to a log file for me to post? 

Should I run it in verbose mode w/o -n to repair it?

xy44Yq3.png

Edited by bmilcs

If I go ahead and mount the file system, I'll be unable to unmount it and rerun the repair. :X

Edit: I think I know what's causing the issue. I recently created a User Script to do a syslog tail to the array. Could that be the issue?

Disregard. Fixed the issue.

Edited by bmilcs
4 minutes ago, bmilcs said:

Alright. I am able to now mount and unmount the array successfully. However, this error is persisting, even after remounting the array in normal mode.

1HHLmxr.png&key=34a72b713aec3ee055195265

That is saying you need to run the repair without the -n (no modify) flag and with the -L flag added.     That is quite normal despite the ominous sounding warning.

Just now, itimpi said:

That is saying you need to run the repair without the -n (no modify) flag and with the -L flag added.     That is quite normal despite the ominous sounding warning.

I was scurred. I tried running it without any arguments as  -L sounds like impending doom... "may cause corruption". Running it now w/ -L.