VM profiles

It would be useful if we could set up multiple profiles for a single VM. Example: sometimes, you might want to launch your Windows VM with a passed-through GPU, 16GB of memory, and several connected devices. Other times, you might want to launch that same VM using VNC, 8GB of memory, and no connected devices. Selecting a profile from a dropdown menu, rather than having to edit and save the template each time, would be fantastic.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, cyberspectre said:

It would be useful if we could set up multiple profiles for a single VM. Example: sometimes, you might want to launch your Windows VM with a passed-through GPU, 16GB of memory, and several connected devices. Other times, you might want to launch that same VM using VNC, 8GB of memory, and no connected devices. Selecting a profile from a dropdown menu, rather than having to edit and save the template each time, would be fantastic.

You can work-around this by creating a new VM in (blank) xml, copy-paste the code from the old VM xml, change the UUID + name and it would work as a separate profile of sort.

You can google uuid generator and there are a few websites that will generate it for you.

That's how I have 3 different "profiles" for my Windows VM and 2 "profiles" for my Linux VM.

The feature you as asking for would be cool but rather complex though. Sort of like a xml snapshot functionality.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 2:46 AM, testdasi said:

You can work-around this by creating a new VM in (blank) xml, copy-paste the code from the old VM xml, change the UUID + name and it would work as a separate profile of sort.

You can google uuid generator and there are a few websites that will generate it for you.

That's how I have 3 different "profiles" for my Windows VM and 2 "profiles" for my Linux VM.

The feature you as asking for would be cool but rather complex though. Sort of like a xml snapshot functionality.

Interesting workaround. Think I'll try it. What would happen if you started one while the other was running, though?

10 hours ago, cyberspectre said:

Interesting workaround. Think I'll try it. What would happen if you started one while the other was running, though?

For my case, the new VM will error out due to USB and/or PCIe devices that are being used by the running VM.

To swich between profiles, I have to first shutdown the running VM, which is easily done through bash script.