[Solved] Safe to skip parity check if disk is already pre cleared?

unraidun

I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is "yes", but is it safe to skip the parity check/sync when adding a new disk to your array IF the disk is already pre cleared? The parity (even in a dual parity drive setup) should be unchanged if the new drive being added to the array is all zeros, right?

Thanks.

Edited by unraidun
1 hour ago, unraidun said:

I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is "yes", but is it safe to skip the parity check/sync when adding a new disk to your array IF the disk is already pre cleared? The parity (even in a dual parity drive setup) should be unchanged if the new drive being added to the array is all zeros, right?

Thanks.

Adding a new drive to the array should never cause a parity check/sync (unless you are adding a new parity disk!).  If the system recognises that the disk is pre-cleared when you add it as a new data disk Unraid will skip the phase of clearing that disk and add it immediately, and otherwise it will clear the drive.  If the system wants to do a parity check/sync then it is due to something other than adding the new drive

Ahhh ok I was indeed adding a new parity disk.

So it's doing a parity sync now, but I still have a couple un assigned drives (pre cleared) waiting to be added. So when the parity sync is finished, you're saying I can safely check the 'skip the parity sync' check box when adding the remaining (non parity) drives?