How often is parity drive accessed?

threefoursixeight

4 minutes ago, threefoursixeight said:

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious how often the parity drive is accessed? 

Is it just during the daily moving from cache to the array, and then during parity checks?

Thanks!

Parity is real time so the parity drive will be accessed any time there is a write to any array drive.    It will also be accessed for reading during parity checks or similar array operations.    If you have a failed drive then all read accesses will also result in reads from the parity drive.

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Parity is real time so the parity drive will be accessed any time there is a write to any array drive.    It will also be accessed for reading during parity checks or similar array operations.    If you have a failed drive then all read accesses will also result in reads from the parity drive.

Gotcha, thanks!

Just wanted to confirm the parity drive shouldn't be accessed very often so I can spin it down quickly :)

If you write it’s on and during a parity check. 

For me I do the following. 
Upload all files to my shares which live on a SSD and using the Mover Tuner they are moved on the 2nd and 15th of the month to the array. 

So ideally my Parity is spun up 3x a month on the 2nd, 15th and when my system does a parity check on the 1st. 

That doesn’t account for rebuilds thou. That requires reading from the Parity. 

I’m not shy to spin up my parity to move files I just figured I’d get a lot faster access from things I access more often from the SSD, but gamble the fact they are not protected for a week or two.