repurposed think server TS340 E3-1220 v2

capitanherman14

My Synology 214 NAS  with 2x4TB is showing it's age and limitations; would like faster read/writes, more storage options and faster network transfer; a DS1019 would be nice, but price.. and flexibility for upgrades down the line.. So decided on trying a 250 dollar do it yourself server with more bays, more processing power and other expansion options.

Server arrived today with 2x1TB server drives, 4GB DDR3 ECC, installed a ZOTAC GeForce GT710 2GB; cheap, PCI 2.0 as no VGA monitor

USB macOS creator did not work on my mid 2014 MacBook pro with 10.15.3 ; opened an error problem solved by using another windows computer

Getting into the BIOS was a bit a pain as Logitech K750 SOLAR F keys need fn+F1; had read already to switch to UEFI rather then legacy

Now it all started when it came to a halt at Tower Login? with bit of help an inserting the network cable now from the laptop had a 2TB array running in minutes

Now main use for this storage server will be to host our pictures and videos. Which I like to access at home, but same on the road 

App:  

Photo and video gallery suggestion?

Upload files?

Other usefull or essential ones?

Hardware:

4GB can be upgraded to max 32GB, but for 8, or 16 is needed if increasing to 3 storage arrays: SSD, main storage, backup storage of 2TB, 8TB, 8TB ?

Have 2 x 1GBE, but looking at 2.5/5GBE and even 10GBE networking; would like close to 300-500MB/s transfer speed, rather then the 30-80MB I am use to now; would such newer PCI cards work on this motherboard with C202 chipset and PCI 2.0?

Storage think first a 1TB Sata SSD drive and 2 x 4TB WD red drive; motherboard has 6 Sata; already used DVD drive, and 2x1TB and the start USB = 2 or 3 for the license? 512 SSD enough capacity? parity drive size needed? 

Screenshot 2020-02-19 20.37.40.png

Edited by capitanherman14